Soliloquy

by behemot 10 Replies latest jw friends

• behemot
    behemot

In recent years the assemblies started to feature a new kind of demonstration on stage: the soliloquy, where inner thoughts and reasonings of the character are uttered aloud for the benefit of the audience. Usually the plot is something like this:

1. the character (a brother, a sister, a youngster) starts with indulging in a selfish/materialistic/unspiritual thought/plan

2. reminds bible principles which run counter to his thought/plan

3. comes to his senses

4. makes the "right" decision (happy ending)

It's kind of a self-sheperding call.

It's true soliloquy is (has been) "a device often used in drama" (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soliloquy), but the authors of the script not being Shakespeare and the actors not being Sir Laurence Olivier makes it kind of weird.

How do you feel about soliloquies at the assemblies?

• fokyc
    fokyc
    How do you feel about soliloquies at the assemblies?

Yuk!!!

They never ring true, all made up material, in other words, another load of lies!

• life is to short
    life is to short

Uncomfortable

• zoiks
    zoiks

As I started to wake up, I would wonder, "If a person came in off the street and saw and heard this, the costume drama, or the audio drama, would they would think we're all insane?"

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

I never understood why the dramas were mimed in an american accent here in UK. Why mime at all? Why couldn't they learn the lines and speak them?

• moshe
    moshe

Amelia, There is always the chance a JW could say the right/true thing, when his lines called for him to tell a fib. I am sure this happened in the past a few times, so the canned pre-recorded drama came to the rescue- with dramatic sound effects!

• baltar447
    baltar447

Most I've heard are ridiculous.

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

I actually did one of these before. Looking back on it, I feel like an idiot for standing on that stage talking to myself. What makes it so ironic, is that the very point of that soliloquy, is what I'm struggling with now. I'm getting ready to do the exact opposite of what my character on the soliloquy did.

• designs
    designs

Some here may remember the gigantic Brain and Heart used in a District assembly in the early 70s, they would light up depending on whether sin or righteousness were winning out. The skit to backfire was the couple sittting on a couch (dating couple, but a married couple was used ) and they start making out, the audience began to applaud! big Ooopps, but really hysterical.

• pirata
    pirata
    What makes it so ironic, is that the very point of that soliloquy, is what I'm struggling with now. I'm getting ready to do the exact opposite of what my character on the soliloquy did.

Ha ha. Did you have the soliloquy were you googled something theocratic and an apostate website came up? You were so shocked that were saying lies and bad things about the organization that you immediately closed your web browser?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit