Quotes by Voltaire - Do you agree and Why?

by Lady Lee 33 Replies latest jw friends

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

OK I want to stimulate some thinking. I'm going to list a bunch of quotes attributed to Voltaire - someone I had never thought to read. But coming across a couple of quotes of his I thought they were rather profound.

So here is the deal. I will list the quotes. You pick your favorite and tell us why.

Voltaire Quotes

Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices. Anyone who seeks to destroy the passions instead of controlling them is trying to play the angel. Appreciation is a wonderful thing: It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well. As long as people believe in absurdities they will continue to commit atrocities. Clever tyrants are never punished. Common sense is not so common.

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd. Each player must accept the cards life deals him or her: but once they are in hand, he or she alone must decide how to play the cards in order to win the game. Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do. Faith consists in believing when it is beyond the power of reason to believe. God gave us the gift of life; it is up to us to give ourselves the gift of living well. He who is not just is severe, he who is not wise is sad. History is only the register of crimes and misfortunes. I am very fond of truth, but not at all of martyrdom. I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it. I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong. It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers.

Life is thickly sown with thorns, and I know no other remedy than to pass quickly through them. The longer we dwell on our misfortunes, the greater is their power to harm us. Man is free at the moment he wishes to be.

No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible. Nothing can be more contrary to religion and the clergy than reason and common sense. Opinion has caused more trouble on this little earth than plagues or earthquakes. Optimism is the madness of insisting that all is well when we are miserable. Tears are the silent language of grief. The multitude of books is making us ignorant. The safest course is to do nothing against one's conscience. With this secret, we can enjoy life and have no fear from death. The secret of being a bore... is to tell everything. The true triumph of reason is that it enables us to get along with those who do not possess it. The truths of religion are never so well understood as by those who have lost the power of reason. Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. To the wicked, everything serves as pretext. We are all full of weakness and errors; let us mutually pardon each other our follies - it is the first law of nature.

Woe to the makers of literal translations, who by rendering every word weaken the meaning! It is indeed by so doing that we can say the letter kills and the spirit gives life.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Clever tyrants are never punished.

This rings all too true in regard to the WTS. JFR never found justice for his willful disregard for the common man leading to all the horror stories of the WTS.

-Sab

• wasblind
    wasblind

"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices"

WTS comes to mind

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing: It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well."

their are quite a few posters here who are so articulate and well learned, I enjoy readin' their post

"Clever tyrants are never punished."

WTS

"Common sense is not so common."

I've also learned that book sense doesn't always mean one has common sense

"The secret of being a bore... is to tell everything"

I'm not gonna list all that I like because I don't won't to bore anyone

• designs
    designs

Voltaire and Jean Jacques Rousseau moved Western thought forward regarding religion and social issues. Essential reading.

• GrandmaJones
    GrandmaJones

No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible.

I love this. We all have to take individual responsibility. We can't blame it on the greater powers. We helped when we supported it.

• 3Mozzies
    3Mozzies
    Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices.

• The Watchtower Society has made millions believe in absurdities (such as: God orders you to avoid blood transfusions at ALL costs) and this in turn has made those members ready to let their children/themselves die!
    • The Watchtower Society has made millions believe in absurdities (such as: God orders you to avoid ALL contact with family or friends who leave the WTS) and this in turn has made those members shun them and view them as evil!

Great quotes from Voltaire Lady Lee

3Mozzies

• Reopened Mind
    Reopened Mind

"It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong."

This has been so true down through history where disagreeing with the established authorities often resulted

in losing one's life. In WT land we "only" lose our families and all our conditional friends. No wonder many of

us here are going through the process of slowly fading.

"The safest course is to do nothing against one's conscience. With this secret, we can enjoy life and have no fear from death."

JW's are not allowed to have their own conscience. It is systematically replaced with a "Bible-trained (WT trained) conscience."

Since my husband and I have been fading we continually have discussions about what we are comfortable doing. This has been a

learning process for us. One of the things we now do is we honor each by celebrating holidays. We find this focuses our attention on

each other and brings us closer together. With this secret we no longer fear Armageddon.

• Caedes
    Caedes

I've also learned that book sense doesn't always mean one has common sense

What a sad and ridiculous comment.

Looking down on someone simply because they have a better education than you is pathetic.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Caedes

We are going to disagree on this one. I have to agree with it. I know many very well educated people that are racists, ignorant and rude. Reading books doesn't make a person any better a person than someone else. I know a man who has a grade school education, started out as a shoe-shine boy in New York but he learned a trade and over the years built up a multi-million dollar business. In the business world he is a true success rags-to-riches story. On the other hand he has 5 kids by 3 wives and still can't figure out how to manage a relationship. I also know people with doctorates who have the social skills of a gnat.

And just think how many books Witnesses read. Doesn't do a whle lot for them, does it?

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I have seen these two posted together

Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices. As long as people believe in absurdities they will continue to commit atrocities.

Says Watchtower Society all over it. Come to think of it a lot of them do. But my favorite is this one:

Man is free at the moment he wishes to be.

Many of us talk about helping our family escape the WTS and how hard that is to do. But it seems to me from reading the board that people will stay in as long as they view the WTS as God's organization. Once that thought is broken they can begin the process of setting themselves free - if they can get past the fear. If you really want freedom it is yours and the price we pay may be dear. We may keep a foot in the org and that too is a price we decide to pay. But our minds are free and that is the most important thing of all.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit