Latest article from Stephen Bates

by Ivor Hope 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Ivor Hope
    Ivor Hope

Thought you might like to see Stephen Bates latest article in The Guardian.Witness on the watchtower

Stephen Bates
    Guardian

Saturday January 26, 2002

The letter from JR Brown, director of the office of public information for Jehovah's Witnesses in New York, spoke fondly of the Guardian, pointing out that "our journals, Awake! and the Watchtower quote from it extensively." Sadly, his opinion had changed as a result of a four-paragraph article I had written last November.

The story was a particularly terrible one. Larry and Constance Slack, a devoutly religious couple from Chicago's south side, had been accused of beating their 12 year-old daughter Laree to death with a length of electric cable, 5ft long and almost an inch thick, after she could not find her mother's coat quickly enough for them go out on time one Saturday evening.

They had beaten her in accordance with Deuteronomy 25, verses 1-3, prescribing 40 lashes' chastisement, minus one, as authorised by Jewish tradition, but then zealously reproducing St Paul's punishment (Corinthians 2:11) by multiplying it three times. The child, whose mother Constance administered some of the lashes, died after being beaten 160 times. Mrs Slack is a nurse.

The couple's five other children - one of whom, an eight year-old boy, was also beaten for being unable to find the coat - were ordered to help hold Laree down. She was gagged with a towel to prevent her screams being heard.

But what disturbed JR Brown about the Guardian's report was not the shocking story itself but the fact that the Slacks were described as Jehovah's Witnesses. He helpfully appended a statement from Leon, Larry Slack's brother, insisting that the couple were not devout witnesses. Although baptised as JWs, "for the last 10 years they have not shared in our worship services, although there were a few relatively short time periods that they would sporadically show up at meetings.

"To physically harm, abuse or kill others is diametrically opposed to the Bible principles we believe in and strive to practice... among the qualities we study about in the Bible... are.... love, joy, peace, long suffering, kindness, goodness, faith, mildness and self-control."

The Jehovah's Witnesses have reason to be nervous about this case. A series of court actions concerning child abuse are pending across the US, and the sect's guidelines are coming under scrutiny because they appear to hinder any investigation of allegations made by children. They recommend, for instance, that complaints be investigated only if abuse is observed by two independent witnesses, and that any documentation arising from an inquiry should be burned rather than shown to outsiders.

The Watchtower does not prescribe 117 lashes for children, but it certainly endorses Proverbs 23:14: "Do not withold discipline from a child; if you punish him with the rod, he will not die." Line four of song 164 in the Witnesses' hymn book, Children: Precious Gifts From God", chirrups: "He says 'Use the rod, yet with tenderness and loving care'."

The organisation has been in almost daily expectation of Armageddon since 1914, and keeps members in line by predicting a grim fate for non-believers - known privately as birdseed - since, in fulfilment of Ezekiel 39:18, their bones will be picked clean by crows. In particular, since September 11, they hope no one notices that their standard depiction of the onset of Armageddon is a jet plane crashing into a New York skyscraper.

The Watchtower holds that "theocratic war strategy" can justly be used to deceive outsiders: "In times of spiritual warfare, it is proper to mis-direct the enemy by hiding the truth. It is done unselfishly; it does no harm."

Presumably, this is JR Brown's precept in his letter. A trawl of Awake! and The Watchtower reveals few references to "the Manchester Guardian" in the last 20 years - certainly none current quoting from it extensively - and those there are appear to be distortions, or outright reversals, of what our articles said. As with the Bible, the interpretation is wrenched out of context.

But there's a deeper, nagging, thought here. Why is the Watchtower so keen to abandon the Slacks to their fate? Surely a Christian religion should not deny its followers, however repugnantly they have behaved? Did not the example of St Peter on Good Friday lay down a few guidelines here? It can't be, can it, that JR Brown believes that ordinary folk - birdseed, Guardian readers - might think that JWs' reading of the Bible allows such a misunderstanding?

We await his next response with interest.

ยท Stephen Bates is the Guardian's religious affairs correspondent

You can cut and paste this address to go directly to the on-line article:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/Archive/Article/0,4273,4343535,00.html

• freeborg
    freeborg

Thought provoking article that yet again exposes the hidden truths within the watchtower walls.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Many thanks Ivor for posting this.

Mrs Ozzie and I have read Stephen's article with much interest.

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"It's better to light a candle than to curse the darkness."
    Anonymous

• ZazuWitts
    ZazuWitts

Thanks, Ivor

I'm continually impressed with Stephen Bates! He cuts right to the quick, IMO.

He sees right through JR Brown's 'smoke screen' and attempt to distance the WTBTS from this tragic case.

Furthermore, he picked up on the fact that the WTBTS publications quote from the "Guardian" in their typical self-serving fashion, often actually misquoting and twisting the original intent of the written word.

Can't you just imagine Brown's dismay when he sees this article! He'll probably regret that he wrote it in the first place, because Bates has now exposed the WTBTS 'theocratic warfare' strategy in even further damaging detail.

For those of us so-called apostates, we are fortunate to have this champion for truth on our side. Bravo to Stephen Bates!!! Keep calling it as you see it.

• Ivor Hope
    Ivor Hope

I totally agree Zazu. I was especially interested to see he called the WTS "bluff" that they regularly quote from The Guardian!

The reality is they hardly ever do quote from the Guardian, and when they do they MIS-quote and take comments out of context!

Most unlike them don't you think [8>]

• SpongeBob
    SpongeBob

Read your posting Ivor...I think that since Stephen Bates is our Champion and his articles are so excellent and hard-hitting then the least we can do is to get out there and buy a copy of The Guardian. If its circulation increases significantly when his JW articles are published then the kudos with his editor will be enhanced, so allowing him to write yet more 'good stuff' about the WTBTS.

• Englishman
    Englishman

Just been out an bought meself a Grauniad! (Guardian gets flack sometimes for mis-spelling) The article is on page 22.

Englishman.

..From the scepter'd Isle kept free by 2 fins and 4 Merlins.

• Ivor Hope
    Ivor Hope

Couldn't agree more!

I've bought my copy

• freeborg
    freeborg

I've bought my copy and long may Stephen Bates articles hit at the heart of the WTS.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Stephen Bates, because you don't mince, you ROCK!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit