Russell quotes

by larc 21 Replies latest jw friends

• larc
    larc

Refiner's fire,

It is interesting that Russell's description of the Clergy that you quoted sounds much like the JW elders today.

Scorpian,

I would love to have the kind of library you have. To show actual pages to a JW sure would have impact. Your quote about China was striking. I hadn't seen that one before.

Finding foolishness in the old literature soooo easy.

• seedy3
    seedy3

I'm sure many of you are familiar with the "Dawn Bible Students", they are one of the break off groups that left when the drunk took over the WTS after Russell died. If anyone is interested, they still print the "Studies in the Scriptures", I however am not sure, how much has been edited over the years. They are relitivly cheap between $2-3 a volume and about $1-1.50 for shipping, or the whole set for $12 and $3 shipping (all amounts are US). They have a websight with an online order form. Here is the publication link if your interested. http://www.dawnbible.com/dawnpub.htm

seedy

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

seedy3.
    The Dawn books are correct and reliable, basically.
    There have been a few alterations.
    Anywhere in the dawn book Volume 2, where the date "1915" appears
    has been altered and originally read "1914".
    Pastor Russell experimenting with a bit of Stalinist history fabrication there.
    Where the "1915" alterations occur, also,some absolute terms have also been altered, from "Completion" to beginning of completion"
    etc.
    The Quote larc put up to start this thread, page 101, volume 2, is one of those instances of alteration.
    The famous "7 predictions" by Russell on page 77, volume 2, have also been altered in the dawn books....

Larc.
    In case you are not already aware...
    volume3 ,"Thy Kingdom Come", page138 forward thru about page 190.
    Russell writes about Babylonish religion and its trappings.
    No witness could read it and not be stunned.
    It is a portrait of the Org as we know it.

• mike047
    mike047

HI Refiner; The pages[138-190] in vol 3, are these from a original printing? I have single vol. reprint[1-6&Shadows] and the page numbers you give start at study 6[the work of harvest]. Is this the correct starting point that you refer to?
    THANKS

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Mike and anyone curious.
    I suppose if you start reading from start of the chapter
    "The work of harvest" you will not have to read very long before you get to the nub of the facts.About 7 paragraphs in it starts to warm up.

Sorry Mike, Trying to convert my book into computer terms here....
    My book is not an original. I sold them all years ago and only have photocopies of the main guts/hot stuff now.

Looking thru that site, the "scripture studies" look like the real thing. Excellent! The marvels of the computer eh?

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Any newbies interested in Mikes link to old WTs....

WT March 1896- "That Servant" article.
    WT April 15,1904- "Like unto men who wait for their Lord".
    WT October 1, 1909- "That servant and fellow servants"

All articles in sequence that show The shifting of thinking from a collective FDS to an individual Faithfull and Discreet slave. Russell.

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Re mikes link site..

Any good dub researcher simply MUST read Scripture studies, Volume 2,
    "The Time is at Hand". Especially chapter on "Parallel Dispensations".

Its a background into the current interpretation of the 1914 "Kingdom" and the 1918 "Ressurection".

• mike047
    mike047

Here is the link for anyone that is interested.

http://www.agsconsulting.com/htdbnon/master.htm

• compton
    compton

Right on! Russell wrote many teachings that make sense today, and its amazing some
    of the things he saw. for instance :-he taught that all people that have ever lived under
    Satanic rule will be given a ressurection and be given a chance when they see a perfect
    earth, that makes sense and in harmony with justice, He also pointed to the restoration
    of Israel, which is happening,and the starting date of 1878. that religious organizations are harmful
    I have in my possesion all the bound volumes till 1916 and the volumes of studies in the scriptures
    and when I showed the circuit servant was told they were of the devil.

• compton
    compton

Let me add they are like fresh air.
    Russell lived at a time of great religious oppression in the heart of Christendom and to
    hand tracks out as people came out of the churches was terrifying.
    He made a few mistakes but who among us is perfect.Let me stress that if you need good
    spiritual food its really good in these old Watchtowers and makes you feel good.free! remember
    christian freedom
    As far as I'm concerned the WTBS was dissmissed in 1980,for beating the sheep and ruling
    over them. Ray Franz is the only member of the governing body that escaped.He points this out
    in his book that Freddie.his uncle really did not agree with what they were doing, But for some reason he
    succumbed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit