Any Petrolheads Here?

by lifelong humanist 12 Replies latest jw friends

• james_woods
    james_woods
    Owning a Ferrari seems to be like being married to a high maintenance super model. Smoking hot, but a pain in the ass. Would you agree?

Like a high maintenance super model running down the street with her hair on fire.

Well, that is not really fair - if you maintain it (and that is VERY expensive), at least my old flat 12 (without a lot of fancy electronics) has really been pretty reliable. As reliable as the Rolls Royce, as a matter of fact. All parts are expensive - I just put on front tires and they were $500 EACH plus installation and alignment. They are metric Michelin TRX and nothing else will fit these rims. I plan about $3 to $4 K per year for ordinary maintenance.

It is just a car from a previous era - no power steering, and the classic (slow) gated manual shift. It has decent air-conditioning (much better than a Porsche of that era) and absolutely will not overheat in Dallas traffic on a hot day - I have never seen it go over 195-200F and the oil temperature barely comes up unless you are cruising over 100. It can supposedly run up to 183 mph, but not by me on the public road.

• lifelong humanist
    lifelong humanist

sorry guys! I meant to write, 'air-cooled' not water cooled Porsches - sorry for my careless mistake. To me, adding a radiator was not an improvement . The air-cooled engine not only sounds absolutely fantastic, but the engine really howls in the top-range!

• lifelong humanist
    lifelong humanist

When I was 'still-in', I once spoke with (what I thought was) a reasonable CO that was staying in our house during his visit that I really wanted to buy a used Porsche turbo. The CO was quick to point out that this was not a 'suitable' car to even contemplate buying for a JW - just think of the people who would be seriously stumbled by such a purchase from an ELDER? I declined to enter into an argument.

Sad to say, I listened and bought something more boring and serious - my mistake!

lifelong humanist

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit