Second car question

by ColdRedRain 7 Replies latest jw friends

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

The gasket on this car is loose and is prone to overheating, but it won't be a problem for me since this is only going to be my winter jalopy.

Has around 160K miles on it and the gasket needs to be tightened after 1500k miles. Yes or no?

http://mankato.craigslist.org/cto/2028238441.html

• Satanus
    Satanus

Not a vw pro, but in general, sometimes new improved head gaskets can be gotten. Also, if bolts are being used to torque down the head, maybe the could be changed to studs and nuts. Studs are supposed to be better, in some cases. Btw, is it gas or diesel?

S

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

I think it's gas, but I can check. If it's deisel, then it's a definate buy.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Classic motor

• Satanus
    Satanus

Deisils in those cars last forever, usually.

S

• nelly136
    nelly136

http://www.ehow.com/about_5443821_symptoms-blown-head-gasket.html

if its diesel , if they havent bothered with the gasket they probably wont have bothered with the cam belt either. so you need to change that if it hasnt been done in a whiles.

if theyre selling struts...does that mean the ones on the car are knackered and need changing?

• nelly136
    nelly136

new head gasket could mean new gasket kit... or you could be looking at having the existing head reskimmed or replaced if its warped or cracked?

and when it says 160k...is that the first time round the clock or second? cos thats incredibly low mileage for a car that age?

• Out at Last!
    Out at Last!

Replacing a head gasket takes alot of time, and no, you can't just tighten up the old one. You will have to remove the intake manifold and the exhaust manifold, and everything fastened to both of them. You will need the head gasket, a new exhaust and intake manifold gaskets. I would recomend having a repair shop doing this work, from the sound of your questions, you are not qualified to do this work. Call a shop and get an estimate on replacing a head gasket, and add that to the asking price of the car. If you think it is worth the money, buy the car.

Good Luck.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit