FUNERAL ARRANGEMENT FOR A AGONSTIC

by jam 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jam
    jam

The dilemma; There is 70 or more family members. My son and I are Agonstic.

So the rest of my family are Baptist , Methodist or JW. Of course I will be

dead, but the question that come up what kind of send off will I have.

I have one relative who is Baptist Minister, he and I have had many talks in

regarding my belief. Since I am getting up in age and we will all die some day,

Iam making plans for my funeral. Any suggestion. I have never attended A

funeral that didn.t have A Minister conducting it. Have anyone attend A

non-Christian funeral.If my Baptist Minister relative conduct it, it would be the

shortest funeral talk ever given, he told me so. He live, got married and he

died. He did not believe in our GOD of the bible, so that means he do not

believe in heaven or hell so it,s no need to read what God word say on

the matter. Where he will end up I have no idea, that is what he told me.

I do not want to be A hypocrite anyway. Just curious have other Agonstis

thought about this?

• mamalove
    mamalove

I have not really been to any neutral type of funerals. But I have lots of ideas. I would make it in a beautiful place, like a park or somewhere the person loved to be. I would make sure that it was more of a sharing happy memories kind of thing and praising the person and showing love and comfort to the family. There is no need to tell people where the dead person is or might be. No one REALLY knows...the dead can't talk. Kind of a morbid subject, but I think that it is interesting as well.

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

I would think at an agnostic or atheist funeral, they would just talk about their memories of the person who died. No need to make reference to religion at all.

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

Jam i think of the same thing often. I have decided on the music I want. I want classical piano, Chopin specifically, played. I may make a cd of songs I want played. I've been putting off putting my wishes on paper, but I know I need to or else my family will see to it that my funeral is in a KH and I don't want that. Here is a link about secular funerals:

http://www.secularceremony.com/funeral_page.html

• jam
    jam

mamalove; Great idea

Emptyinside: I agree, I think about my four kids, I guess it will be for them(the funeral

Serenity; Thanks , I thought I was alone on this.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Favorite location. Favorite music. Favorite food. Favorite photos. Favorite memories. Favorite hobby.

I bet it could last longer than most religious services and be 1000 times more memorable.

-Aude.

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

I have been to services where the funeral director takes charge . He gave the basic facts about the person's life then turned it over to family and friends to say or share memories with the group . Nothing religious just a rememerance of the deceased.

That's what I want . A friend to stand up and speak about my life and to be remembered for the joys I had in life . No one knows what happens after we die ,and I don't feel the need to expound on theories at my funeral . A moment of silence will allow those in attendance that do have strong religious beliefs to pray .

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

In some countries, particularly those who are becoming determinedly secular, most of life's celebrations (weddings and funerals are two example) are now handled by non-religious celebrants. This is because in my country, even though most call themselves 'christians,' only about 5% of the population go to church on any sunday.

The secular funerals I've been too, generally have a celebrant (co-ordinator or MC) who handles all the arrangements. The program consists of whatever music is asked for, some speeches about the dead person, some family memories. Then a few moments of silence - and that's when the celebrant presses the button for the coffin to slide into the next room.

And then off to the wake.

I've left instructions for all that to be dispensed with - just call an undertaker to remove my body and have it burnt. and that's it.

• jam
    jam

thanks folks for all the good advice. Fulltime ( making out instructions today) Aude ( I like Favorite food, never thought

about that.) TM ( family share memories, we have A lot of good memories)

• Mad Dawg
    Mad Dawg

I have thought about making a videotape of myself to be played after I die. I would pretty much conduct my own funeral. I think that it would make for an interesting, if bizarre, funeral. I doubt anyone would forget it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit