What is the distinction between dogmatism and sincere conviction ?

by caliber 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• caliber
    caliber

I do sincerely want you opinions . Is there a difference in sharing your hope as opposed with pushing your religion ?

Is it in attempting to set some sort of standard for other peoples lives or what makes the difference in your view ?

• Ding
    Ding

I really don't mind people telling me they've got the true religion (JWs, Mormons, etc.) as long as they stop when I tell them I'm not interested.

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

The audience is everything.

If your audience is in full agreement with your beliefs or ideas, then you can be dogmatic and it will be seen as conviction.

If your audience is not in full agreement with your beliefs or ideas, then you have to be diplomatic and tactful or you will be seen as dogmatic.

• Little Imp
    Little Imp

I think someone with a sincere faith would stand out because of their demeanour. In other words, they would not have to tell you about it, it is just the way they live their life. You may be drawn to them because of a serenity or peace that may seem to surround them, you ask them how they manage to life, e.g. a stress free life, this is the only point at which they may mention that they have faith.

True faith does not need to be boastful.

Just my own personal thoughts. I will be interested in reading what others think.

LI

• ele_lux
    ele_lux

I think those are two different questions. Dogmatism vs. sincere conviction is super tricky. As a Witness I never thought I was dogmatic!

As for sharing your hope vs pushing your religion, to me it has to do with whether the other person is interested in what you have to say or not. If they are clearly not interested and you keep "sharing" then they could easily feel like you're trying to push your religion on them. Just my opinion.

• Violia
    Violia

True believers are the real deal and can not be bought off. They will die for their cause .They are the most dangerous of all.

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

When sincere conviction is based on what can be neither proved or disproved it is called Faith. When one puts forward the tenets of his Faith, which by definition can be neither proved or disproved, then it is dogma. But the two things are different. Sincere conviction may be something kept completely to oneself whereas dogma must be shared.

• caliber
    caliber
    as they stop when I tell them I'm not interested.
    As for sharing your hope vs pushing your religion, to me it has to do with whether the other person is interested in what you have to say or not
    The audience is everything.
    If your audience is in full agreement with your beliefs or ideas, then you can be dogmatic and it will be seen as conviction

Dogmatism vs. sincere conviction is super tricky

Thanks for all your wonderful insightful comments.. these thoughts above especially jumped out at me to have deep meaning

• caliber
    caliber
    "You may be drawn to them because of a serenity or peace that may seem to surround them, you ask them how they manage to life, e.g. a stress free life, this is the only point at which they may mention that they have faith."

Excellent point.. it seems to be about timing and the openness or willingness of the other person.

No pushing but comprehending that the person is drawn to you... looking for answers (or you drawn to them for their answers)

Consideration , timing, .......respect for the other person's thinking mode ;they appear open and searching for your input

diplomatic and tactful
    ... maybe that's it.... diplomacy and dogmatism are the defining opposites !...
  • cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

dog·ma·tism /'dôgm??tiz?m/
    Noun: The tendency to lay down principles as incontrovertibly true, without consideration of evidence or the opinions of others Can you have sincere conviction and be dogmatic at the same time? Can you not have a conviction and not be dogmatic? Can these two be non related? Is there any conviction not sincere? just thinking

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit