"Lone Ranger Christianity"

by leavingwt 10 Replies latest jw friends

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Some may enjoy this thread at the Channel C forum.

By Jim Penton, it's about what he calls, "Lone Ranger Christianity". There are quite a few responses there, in the ongoing discussion.

. . .

So I reject Lone Ranger Christianity. Sören Kierkegaard once wrote a beautiful book entitled “Purity of Heart Is to Will One Thing,” and that one thing was, according to him, the love of God for the sake of God. Yet despite the beauty of this book and my great admiration for Kierkegaard, I think he missed a very significant point: the Bible (and Christ) stress two great commandments of life, not one. So one must love neighbour and fellow Christian as well as God. As John tells us: “And this is his commandment, that we believe in the name of his son Jesus Christ and love one another....” (1 John 3:23) And loving one another means associating, fellowshipping, with one another. So I will urge others to enter into fellowship with brothers and sisters to the extent possible. Furthermore, I will continue to rejoice in my fellowship with the Free Bible Students and Christian Believers. I know they are not perfect, but I have given up looking for perfect churches. For if I found one and joined it, it would no longer be perfect with me present.

http://www.channelc.org/ChCForum/forum/index.php?action=display&forumid=1&msgid=5577

• Scully
    Scully

Jim Penton is an amazing guy. Despite his claims to imperfection. LOL

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Lone Ranger Christianity..

"I need you to Baptize both Horses and Tonto"..

http://www.jimhillmedia.com/mb/images/upload/Lone-Ranger-cc-web.jpg

.......................... ...OUTLAW

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

The only thing I hate about this mentality is the whole "mandatory to associate with one another" as defined by imperfect men. I don't know Penton, but on the surface it appears the apostate apples haven't fallen far from the WT's tree. I could be wrong, as he's probably a good dude. My reservations lie in the fact that the WT treats Hebrews 10:24, 25 as a command that JWs must attend weekly meetings. It wasn't a command, but the argument could be made it was strong advice, and absolutely necessary considering the time frame that the Hebrew Christians lived in. They would have needed to support, encourage,and upbuild one another all the more so back then.

It's 2010 going on 2011, and we're far removed from 66 CE, or 70 CE, or whatever time frame Paul penned this letter. Different ballgame today. I don't feel that I'm under any threat, and don't need the encouragement of any Christian groups today. Matter fact, to be honest with you, I find Christian communities, both the JWs, and other groups to be highly discouraging. I'd rather serve God and imitate Christ by myself, as opposed to doing so along side a herd of hypocrites and vipers.

How does Penton get off defining loving one another as "associating and fellowshipping to the extent possible?" There are old friends, family, relatives, even former workmates that I don't see often, yet I still have love for them, and still love them genuinely. If they never call me again, believe me when I say my love for them isn't any less.

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

The WTS would not like (does not like) that idea:

- impossible to control the R & F that way!

Our family ran up against this issue very early in the piece, as we lived fifty miles from the nearest congregation.

Quickly, the elders were pressing my father to give up his employment - which was a secure, well paying job; and for a company he had been with for over 20 years - just so he could move in closer to the congregation. (The better to control him that way).

Lucky for my father, he saw through that one, and told the elders to go to the "Far Queue" with that suggestion!

I was less fortunate than he, and fell for it - to my detriment

Bill

• sabastious
    sabastious

Welcome Bungi Bill !

-Sab

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

I noticed today that Jim Penton has responded to one critic. Here is what he said on the Channel C Forum:

CommentFrom Viewer made the following statement:

“I propose to Jim Penton that religion does precisely what the word implies. Religion is thought to be derived from Religare...ligaments which bind,
    hence the binding of loads upon devotees. He said, "Were it not for
    translators, biblical scholars, historians, archaeologists, and others
    working within the context of religious organizations over the centuries,
    how could we know anything about Christ and his message?" This statement
    seems to lack the faith that God has the ability to oversee the availablity
    of the knowledge about himself and his son, scripture even supposing that
    stones might cry out."

Frankly, I find this a novel interpretation of the meaning of "religion." Yes, the word originally meant to bind together, but there is nothing in the word that says this means "the binding of loads upon devotees." Sometimes that may well be the case, sometimes not. Secondly, words are not bound by or to their etymological roots. To assume that they are is to fall into the genetic fallacy. Hence, the meaning of a word is determined by context, not by etymology. So religion may be very bad or very good depending on how the term is used and experienced. Yes, God could well have made knowledge of Himself and his Son known to us by direct revelation. He could have angels come to us personally (as J.F. Rutherford thought they were doing with him) or He could have had the stones cry out. But how often have any here had angels appear directly or in dreams to give them the latest “present truth”? And who, recently, has had a conversation with a stone? Most of us think that the Bible, mediated through imperfect humans, was and is God’s revelation to us. And because the various books of the Bible were written at different times, in societies with very different traditions and values from our own, and in languages which few understand today, I think it reasonable to assume that Christian men and women—often quite imperfect and sometimes very sinful—carried the Christian tradition on throughout the ages so that we may have the text of the Bible in recensions and translations which, although not completely accurate, reflect the basic will of God for humankind. So I feel strongly that those who isolate themselves and become Lone Ranger Christians are fooling themselves. Someone here noted that the Lone Ranger had Tonto as his only companion. Well yes, but look up the word tonto in a Spanish-English dictionary and you will see it means “stupid, , ignorant, silly, foolish, fatuous” as an adjective and “fool, dolt, dunce, nincompoop, noodle, numskull” as a noun. So without wishing to be unkind, I hope that none of our Lone Rangers here on Channel C have no one or nothing but Tonto or tontería (foolishness) as their companion. Christ talks directly of his church, and when there are disputes that can’t be settled privately, he tells us to take them to the church—surely a body of more than two or three. Paul talks about our gathering together to celebrate holy communion, the Eucharist or Lord’s Supper. He also tells about the appointment of elders and deacons. And Hebrews tells us not to forsake the gathering of ourselves together as some have the custom. So I don’t think the stones are going to speak to us or an angel come to us individually if we ignore Christ’s and the apostles’ commands.

http://www.channelc.org/ChCForum/forum/index.php?action=display&forumid=1&msgid=5670

• BereanThinker7
    BereanThinker7

I fall in with agreement that being a "lone ranger christian" isn't the best idea. That was originally my plan when I walked away from the organization. Its not really a salvation issue by any means I would say. Its just extremely difficult. True there have been plenty who have had to be "lone rangers" through the ages for whatever reason but I find it so much more satisfactory and up building to be able to get together with others. Ironically enough I also associate the "Free Bible Students", the group in Lombard IL whose church is named the Berean Bible Students. They split from Russell and his crazier ideas way back in 1907 with the "New Covenant Schism." Also ironically enough I only just recently found out that Penton has ties with them as well. lol

• cofty
    cofty

For a moment I thought LeavingWT was back

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

I miss LeavingWT.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit