is the soul mortal biblically speaking

by therevealer 15 Replies latest jw friends

• therevealer
    therevealer

Not being a wise guy or rude here but rather than mess up the thread on is the soul immortal I think the opposite question is interesting as well.

• Satanus
    Satanus

I googled the subject and i was surprised at how many christians believe that the soul IS mortal. Wt taught me that they all think it's immortal.

S

• therevealer
    therevealer

I guess this can take us back to "what is the/a soul" question. what was your search query Satanus?

• Satanus
    Satanus

I was searching for the bible passages that said the soul was immortal. Like other bible subjects, this one is argued for and against, from the bible, as it has been for centuries.

S

• Inkie
    Inkie

OMG! Try reading Ezekiel 18:4. That should answer your question.

• therevealer
    therevealer

What about Ezekial 18:4 answers that question.

• Inkie
    Inkie

therevealer: Do I have to type it out for you? Read the title question of this post and then read the verse. Voila!

• factfinder
    factfinder

Ezekiel 18:4- Jws are right about some things.

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

Ezekiel 18:4, in context, is not talking about the condition of the human soul. It is using the word "soul," even as we do in English sometimes, in an idiomatic sense to denote a person. To say, "the person who is sinning will die" would be a reasonable interpretation of the verse. The issue at hand in that specific text in this context was not whether anything survives the death of the body, but whether God would hold the sins of the fathers against their sons. Read the whole chapter and you'll see that I am correct.

There are numerous texts that demonstrate that the soul/spirit is a distinct part of man that leaves the body at death:

Gen 35:18 And as her soul was departing (for she was dying), she called his name Ben-oni; but his father called him Benjamin.
    Gen 35:19 So Rachel died, and she was buried on the way to Ephrath (that is, Bethlehem),

1Ki 17:21 Then he stretched himself upon the child three times and cried to the LORD, "O LORD my God, let this child's life [Hebrew, nephesh = soul] come into him again."

Ecc 12:7 and the dust returns to the earth as it was, and the spirit returns to God who gave it.

Act 7:59 And as they were stoning Stephen, he called out, "Lord Jesus, receive my spirit."

Mat 10:28 And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell. (Notice that soul here is distinct from body, so the soul cannot be the whole person - it wouldn't make sense to speak of those who "kill the body but cannot kill the person")

Luk 23:46 Then Jesus, calling out with a loud voice, said, "Father, into your hands I commit my spirit!" And having said this he breathed his last.

• therevealer
    therevealer

NeonMadman - Late response, but exactly. Funny thing is that the dubs had an article in which they explained that point. question from readers, march 15, 2010

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit