It's Really Just a Social Club

by Eiben Scrood 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Coffee House Girl
    Coffee House Girl

Good Thread

I was not in the "in" crowd or a part of cliques in the cong. but in my teens I could see the ones who were going out and getting wasted, dating, having sex, and they were getting away with it and viewed as spritually "exemplary" because they went out in service and were good at commenting or giving talks-

it made me feel more depressed and frustrated that I couldn't find any friends in the Borg (I wasn't really intersted in getting drunk and partying- and the other kids in the cong. that didn't fit in like me were boring and I had nothing in common with them)& I wasn't allowed to have any friends outside.

So glad I am now away from that type of social system (trap), but I find outside social functions so difficult now....it will take much time and effort to be able to relate to others and enjoy a party or join a fun club. Getting involved with another religious organization for social reasons just makes me nauseated right now.

CHG

• ziddina
    ziddina

("I often quote meself - it adds polish to me conversations!!" Andy Capp comics...)

"Travelling in groups - packs - herds - comes as natural to humanity as walking upright... And using opposable thumbs...
    And in the past, expulsion from the 'herd' was often a death sentence. "

And Journey-On commented:

"Are you saying shunning is....(what's the word I'm looking for?).....oh yeah. ANIMALISTIC. ..."

Uh, actually, Journey-On, the examples I used, were of predatory animals that preyed upon our ancestors... Expulsion from the human 'herd' meant the lone individual lacked the protection of the tribal group - for what that was worth...

In fact, one sees expulsion of rogue animals from herds in the animal kingdom - rogue bull elephants are driven out of elephant herds by the female elephants, to protect the young...

So, in that sense, shunning began with animal groups, and is a vestigial behavior left over from our animal ancestors...

In an ancient setting, I would call 'shunning' a brutal form of discipline. In our modern world, lacking the great predators that made our ancestors' lives so hazardous, I would call shunning a barbarous and primitive behavior, more fitting of a tribe of Neanderthals or Cro-Magnons than supposedly "civilized" people... A throw-back to our ape-like ancestors, perhaps...

Which brings up another point...

Once I got my head clear of the Watchtower anti-science attitudes and began researcing humanity's evolutionary paths, I was amused to realize that, the groups that scream the loudest that humanity was "stick-built" by some Bronze-Age Middle-Eastern male sheepherders' "god", are the groups that behave in the most "ape-like" manner... Fundamentalist Jews, Christians, Muslims...

Shunning being an excellent example. Shunning is an ancient and primitive behavior pattern. As is male dominance of females; the perception that females are the "weaker" sex, the beliefs that the young are the "property" of the dominant males, and so on...

Note: not all of these behaviors will have a parallel in all simian behavior. The "male dominance of females" exists among some species of animals but is lacking in others - lion prides versus raptor pairings, for example. The belief that the young are the "property" of the dominant males does NOT work amongst certain chimpanzee groups, baboons, or hyenas, if I recall correctly, but might apply to orangutan group dynamics...

It is a rough comparison, but still valid, I feel...

Zid

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Is this why the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger has an upcoming study article including paragraphs reminding the witlesses that it is not a social club?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit