Suggest a coffee maker, please

by cameo-d 26 Replies latest jw friends

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

I can expect my coffee pots to malfunction usually about the time the year warranty runs out. I have gotton the coffeemakers at Jip*lmart for the last 10 years or more; none have lasted much longer than a year..OK maybe 18 months at the most.

Anyway, since it stopped brewing, I have just been pouring hot water from stovetop over the coffee grinds....sort of the Melita way, but it doesn't exactly f l o w like a Melita.

I would like to have something non-electric like Melita, but I hate that name now because it reminds me of Jacarass's ill tempered wife.

Can anyone recommend a good coffee maker?

Also, do you find any difference in the quality of a name brand product when it's sold at Jip*mart as opposed to a place more upscale?

What store do you shop for appliances like a good coffee maker?

• dssynergy
    dssynergy

I use a french press. I love it. The flavor is richer, and it is easy. Nothing to break unless you break the pot. :-)

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

DO you have to use a special grind of coffee with the French press?

• VampireDCLXV
    VampireDCLXV

I think the coffee has to be ground more coarsely for use with a french press...

V665V665

• asilentone
    asilentone

I do not like coffee, but I used the yahoo search engine to look it up for you, here is what I come with, http://www.consumersearch.com/coffee-maker-reviews

• dssynergy
    dssynergy

Yes, it is more course - but most coffee grinders (if you ground at the grocery store or Starbucks) have a setting for that. If you grind at home, you get used to how much to grind it - more course than drip coffee grounds, less course than whole beans. :-)

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

French pressed coffee is usually stronger and thicker and has more sediment than drip-brewed coffee. Because the used grounds remain in the drink after brewing, French pressed coffee left to stand can become bitter. For a 1 ⁄ 2 -litre (0.11 imp gal; 0.13 US gal) French press, the contents are considered spoiled after around 20 minutes. [ 4 ]

Not sure I like this feature. I would be making coffee all day long if the coffee is "spoiled" and bitter after 20 mins. I don't like the idea of dregs and sludge at the bottom of my cup. Is that how it is when you use French press? My usual habit is brew a pot of about four cups. I usually make a pot in morning and then another one mid to late afternoon.

• Evidently Apostate
    Evidently Apostate

love my kuerig k cup machine. many choices and no wasted or bad tasting coffee , it can seem pricey about .40-.50 per cup.

• PokeyPokeyPokey
    PokeyPokeyPokey

My husband and I just got our Gevalia coffee pot today. We love it! I have had one before, but he has not. He notices a difference in the way the coffee tastes (much better!) and it is HOT! (Our last coffee pot was a $10 department store model, and the coffee was hardly hot when it was first made even!) It has a cone shaped filter, which I think allows for the better taste, as it is brewed more thoroughly. It is programmable, it has a pause and serve feature, and it shuts off on its own after a few hours..so, if you leave it on by accident and leave the house, no big deal...it will shut off on its own. This one came with a large thermal carafe and a thermal travel mug along with a pound of coffee (you choose the flavors)...all for under $30! Go to their website and look around.

:)

• Judge Dread
    Judge Dread

Cuisinart Grind and Brew.

Thee best coffee maker...........ever.

JDW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit