"Before the Generation ... of 1914 Passes Away"

by doinmypart 26 Replies latest jw friends

• doinmypart
    doinmypart

That quote must be embarrassing for the WTS, so I figured I'd post it. It appeared on the inside cover of every Awake magazine until a few years ago.

A few weeks ago I attended the funeral of someone born in 1916, she was 94 years old. I don't know anyone born before or on 1914.

Governing Body are you ashamed? Do you even care?

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Of course they don't care. They say that it is actually a GOOD thing because it shows that they have been keeping on the watch! In fact on the #3 talk this week they referr to the reasoning book where it says:

As for fulfillment of prophecy, they apply what Jesus said about being alert to events that correspond to what was foretold. (Luke 21:29-31; compare 2 Peter 1:16-19.) Conscientiously they point out those events and draw attention to what the Bible indicates they mean.

No shame here...

• simon17
    simon17

Evidently, the passage refers to a 118 year old women who is still alive in the mountains of Tibet and clearly was capable of understanding the events of WWII.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

"Evidently" an apostate -- one having none of the God's spirit -- authored that line.

• Heaven
    Heaven

Everyone born on or before 1914 in my family is dead. So for me, the Generation of 1914 has died. And, that actually occurred back in 2007 when my Uncle born in 1916 passed away. He was my last relative alive from that decade and he was a JW.

Now, the oldest living relative I have is from the 1920s. This person is my Dad, also a JW, and he is declining. Once he goes, there will be no JWs in my immediate family. And I will see to it that future generations of our family know about this organization and its dangers.

The Watchtower's legacy dies with my Father. You'll be getting no more money from us!

• AuntBee
    AuntBee

" be reminded what Jesus said in Matthew 25:13. And notice how He put it- He said, Keep on the watch therefore, because you know neither the day nor the hour. So, not knowing behooves us to really be alert, to be vigilant, to be watchful. And when we keep on the watch, it allows you and I to develop this waiting attitude on Jehovah. To be patient, and to be content and satisfied not knowing the day or the hour. …..We’re going to consider 5 beneficial reasons as to why not knowing the day or the hour can help us. "

From a 2010 Convention talk. A whole talk about the benefits of not knowing the day or the hour. FIVE of them.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

whole talk about the benefits of not knowing the day or the hour.

I heard a talk like that recently..Apparently the Borg believes that if they knew the date in advance, say e.g. 5 years time......The whole worldwide congregation would give up and stay home and then come back in 4 and a half years time ...

It seems that they do not think too highly of the integrity of their members

• blondie
    blondie

So how do they explain the pushing of 1975 from 1966 to 1975 was considered a good thing....keeping people's feeling of urgency white hot?

• Ultimate Reality
    Ultimate Reality

But the Generation has not passed away. Jesus really meant that the Generation would have two overlapping groups, one that saw 1914 and one that sees the great tribulation. Together, they make up the Generation that will not pass away. We can thank holy spirit for shedding new light on this topic.

• wasblind
    wasblind

Thanks AuntBee,

And here's a classic example of WatchTower doublespeak on page 97 in the Reasoning from the Scriptures book

The last sentence in the middle paragraph states: "Before the last members of the generation that was alive in 1914

will have passed off the scene, all things foretold will occur, including the "great tribulation" in which the present wicked

world will end." Then at the bottom of that same page it quotes Jesus saying: " Concerning that day and hour nobody knows...."

Also In Acts 1:7 Jesus states: "It does not belong to you to get knowledge of the times or seasons ....."

clearly on the top of page 97 in the reasoning book they show the times and season.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit