DO YOU THINK THIS WOULD EVER BE A 'CONSCIENCE MATTER'?

by Mary 17 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Mary
    Mary
    JW's can have most blood fractions but not the whole blood, (whatever the difference is here who knows)

What Witnesses are not told is that hospitals do not as a rule, transfuse 'whole blood' anyway because in the vast majority of cases, it's not needed, plus it's dangerous transfusing white cells and platelets and that's done only in dire circumstances. The vast majority of recipients need packed red cells for oxygen. If the Borg allowed 'packed red cells' as being viewed as 'fractions', it would save thousands of lives.

• llbh
    llbh

Hi Mary,

The JW stance on blood transfusions has little to do with the bible, and, as Grace and others have said, is about control, pure and simple (though not very simple for JW's). The corollary is therefore in the case to which you allude is that thier beliefs in this regard are founded on rather shaky principles and grounds, therefore they have a harder time justifying control in this instance, and any smart JW will be alert to any lacuna(e), and accept treatment, if appropriate.

Going on from this, the whole field of regenerative medicine is in its infancy ( no pun intended) and will transform therapies for a very wide range of diseases. I attended a lecture at my older son's University, Kings College London, which was full of people doing research in this area from all over the world; the guy I sat next to said to me that he fully expected people to live 40 years longer in 20 years time, that was 4 years ago. There is hardly a week that goes by now without an article in the news about something to do with it, like the article which you introduced above.

The biomedical ethics, and jurisprudence of such therapies is a little way behind the science.

David

• Mary
    Mary
    the whole field of regenerative medicine is in its infancy ( no pun intended) and will transform therapies for a very wide range of diseases

I agree 100% David. I think we're just starting to scratch the surface when it comes to regenerative medicine. The day will come when blood transfusions become obsolete, but in the meantime, it's just plain common sense (or at least it should be), to take what's available at the time to try and save a life.

• darthfader
    darthfader

Great discussion!

The whole JW religion is founded upon a 19th century understanding of science and medicine. At some point they will have to accept a more "liberal" interpretation of the "blood rules" and render it a conscience matter.

.02 worth

• sir82
    sir82

If it really works as advertised, this might be the Watchtower's "get out of jail free" card.

Their big complaint with blood trransfusions is that blood removed from a body is suposed to be "poured out". The cells described in this article never were blood to begin with. I think they'd say it was OK.

This would be their golden opportunity to get away from the looming potential of lawsuits over the blood issue.

They can declare victory by claiming "We kept all you JWs safe from the harmful effects of 'real' blood until this synthetic substitute was ready. Ain't we great?"

• darthfader
    darthfader

Good point Sir82

• Magwitch
    Magwitch

CHICKPEA: bet it gets joho tongues wagging while they wait for the b0rg to tell
    them what to think ....

SPOT ON CHICKPEA!!!

• bobld
    bobld

Not in your life it's says so in the bible, BLOOD is a no no however they will weasel their way and say they are the one that pioneered it like bloodless surgery.And it is ok now.

B

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit