Gay "Knocking" director Joel Engardio writes again on shunning by JW family members

by MrMonroe 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Walt Whitman
    Walt Whitman

I had watched many of PBS's P.O.V. series. Many were quite good. When I discovered that there was to be one about JWs titled Knocking, I began to check it out. There were several P.O.V. message boards related to it.

What annoyed me was that here was a gay man, who had created, to my appraisal, a valentine to the WTS. He was raised as a JW, but because of his not getting baptized and he was making a documentary favorable to the JWs -- he was embraced by the WTS and still had a close relationship with his JW mother.

On the other hand, I had had two very good JW friends from childhood who had been baptized, both from strong JW families. My very best friend was an incredible intellect. Had been valedictorian of a a very large high school in the Los Angeles area. He was offered scholarships and his school counselors begged him to go to college. Being the obedient son and witness, he chose to pioneer where the need was greater.

Well, he sort of had a breakdown while on his assignment. When he came home he asked to stay with me until he could get a job and find his own place. I had a feeling he was struggling with homosexual feelings (just like my other friend). This was back in the early '70s. He tried to leave the Society quietly -- but they wouldn't let him. They literally hunted him down. Finally he confessed that he was gay. He was summarily disfellowshipped. As was my other friend. They were both shunned by the JWs and their parents.

They both contracted AIDS in the middle 1980s. While they were both very alone in the beginning, thank goodness they had made many supportive "worldly" friends. By this time I was married, had children, and a servant in the congregation. My good friend called me out of the blue (because I hadn't been talking to him, either.) He told me he had AIDS and wanted to see me before he died. Without hesitation I went to see him. He was very sick and in the hospital.

His super active pioneering mother and elder father refused to visit. It was only at the brink of his death that they paid a visit to say good-bye. I think he was down to about 90 pounds and covered with KS spots. I can recall his father telling me, "The wages of sin are death." I visited him again and we had some wonderful conversation about the old days. We even laughed like we had when we were younger. He died while in his 30s.

I told the elders in my congregation that I had visited a DF'd homosexual with AIDS. And, "No," I told them I was not sorry nor did I feel I needed to repent. I was removed from my position and put on public reproof with restrictions.

My warning to all -- NEVER GET BAPTIZED!

• talesin
    talesin

I tried to watch the vid a few days ago ... got halfway through it, and found it nauseatingly pro-JW,,, maybe I need to take another look.

tks, peeps, for giving me another POV.

t

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit