The Greatest Gift (no one is guaranteed tomorrow)

by AllTimeJeff 15 Replies latest jw friends

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

I was watching a movie on cable this week, and was impressed. It was about a woman who chose prostitution, in part to live out a life of lust. The movie is more about her journey to learn about herself. In the end, she was reminded by a couple of people that the real key to life is the decision to be happy, to enjoy each day as a gift, which is what it is. No one is guaranteed tomorrow. It was an interesting character study.

The character's epiphany reminded me of my mother's last lesson to me before she died earlier this year from cancer. It was simple. "Be happy."

It was sort of ironic to me in that she really wasn't that happy most of her life. Yet here she was, her life cut short, but the last thing she wanted to pass onto me as her son was the one thing she never figured out for herself. She didn't want me to deal with what she had to deal with. Deep down, she knew (as we talked) that many of her decisions, while on the one hand liberating, also contributed to where she was.

I have had my good and great, bad and horrible days since leaving JW's. In all of those days, I had to deal with bitterness and regret about what could have been.

I read something last week, which I am sure is not in any way a new concept, but it struck me. The statement is simple, yet so true: "You can't lose what you never had."

You can't lose what you never had.

I stress that because I see on this board, and know it's true with me, that there are many who feel cheated out of something they never had. As if it weren't for being a JW, all we thought could have happened to us, would have happened to us.

You can't lose that first love you wanted, because it didn't happen. You can't lose that college experience, because it didn't happen.

Could've should've would've.

If that sounds bad, just wait a second. Because you can love. You can go to college. You can still do so much, if that's what you really want to do. It just has to start now, not in the past, thats all.

And it starts with a pretty basic concept. At some level, we can decide, not to "be happy", but to start a life that will make us happy.

This last election saw bitter politics, involving bitter politicians trying to get bitter voters to vote for them. It was and is all about, who to blame.

Blame doesn't equal accountability. Blame is fake accountability. That goes for the government, and it goes for former JW's as well.

We can sit and pretend we lost something we never had, and never realize that the more we try to get back what we never had, we will lose the only future we have ahead of us.

We can blame JW's for the hurt, and make sure "we hold them accountable." Or we can realize that there is only thing we are accountable for, and that is our future.

Even if we are older and have a smaller time left, we are still ALIVE!

Each day is a gift.

When will we realize that the real power JW's still have over those who have left is the bitterness they engender.

When you think of all the bullshit false prophecies that the Governing Body ever uttered, the only one that they ever got right is that former JW's are bitter.

I realize that's not all of the story. But think about it. They are bully's. Bully's thrive on predictable, reactive behavior. Who is better at being predictable and reactive then former JW's?

I write this as stream of consciousness, if only to say, to the extent that you and I can move on, not be bitter, and take whatever is left of our life, whether it is long or short, and make it the absolute best we can, then we no longer empower those bastards.

We have no power over Jehovah's Witnesses or the Governing Body. Only ourselves, our outlook, and the next 3 or 4 decisions over the next couple of days.

What will those decisions be? Will we decide to embrace our life, and make the best of where we are?

Enjoy life. Be happy. Let go of anger and bitterness. You don't have to bring down Jehovah's Witnesses, or revel in the misery. We only need to recover, and move on.

Be happy.

Love you all! :)

• drewcoul
    drewcoul

Excellent!

Since leaving, my brother went to college and is now a practicing attorney (he was in his mid/ late 30's when he finished). I am in my 2nd year of college and work full time (about 60 hours per week).

I will not be 50 years old and think "If I'd only gone to college......."

You, Jeff are absolutely correct!!

God bless!!

• drewcoul
    drewcoul

And I am not bitter. I love the Witnesses I've known. I help them when I can, even when I have to go through my Mother to do it. Even though they don't speak to me, they know I love them, and I hold no bitterness toward any of them.

• clarity
    clarity

Jeff ... words of wisdom ... thanks.

Young or old we get to live one minute at a time. What our minutes add up to, is in our hands & minds. How we think is crucial. Whether we think we can, or think we cannot .. we'll be right!

Great weekend to you,

clarity

• bobld
    bobld

I agree Alltime.I enjoy life and I am happy.I post here my taughts and what I think is wrong with the WBTS so others can see what is wrong with the WBTS.

Example.UN,BLOOD,MATERIALISM,COLLEGE.No THE wbts will not disappear or go away but I can influance some.

B

• Hadit
    Hadit

Thanks Jeff! Excellent points. Each day is a gift and we should all make the best of it. Letting go of bitterness is very hard but really - it's only hurting us. Living a happy, fulfilling life is the best way to show them that we moved on and how wrong they were!

Have a great weekend!

Hadit

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

Great post Jeff:

I've had a rough week, with non-stop tears of grief over my past and non-stop anxiety attacks for my future. With the help of a few good friends, ex-JW's who have been where I am and made it through to the other side, a little light is beginning to show through the doom and gloom.

You are absolutely right. We cannot mourn a past we never had. There is no alternate parallel universe somewhere where everything turned out perfectly for us and we had the life we think we should have had. If we are mourning the past, we are mourning a fantasy we had that never existed.

I'm 47 and in my 3rd year of college. Many times, I've been the oldest person in my classes. Sometimes I think, what am I doing here, trying to compete with these kids who are younger, faster, healthier and better looking than me. But you know, next year I'm going to be 48 regardless. I can be 48 with a degree or I can be 48 without a degree. Those are my only two choices. The rest is just psyching myself out with old WT mind conditioning bullshit. After I article for two years with an accountant, I'll be 50! But the way things are going these days, that is 20 years of working as a well paid professional under my belt before I have to retire.

If I tell myself I'm too old and quit, then I still have 22 years ahead of me, but doing what? Working a low paid clerical job? There is no magical "other world" out there. There is just this moment and the choices and opportunities before us, right now. Pick one and work it like there is no tomorrow, because there may not be.

• VampireDCLXV
    VampireDCLXV

Jeff,

Wow. No truer words have ever been spoken. If there was anything throughout my life I've ever seen as utterly pointless, it would be regretting what happened in the past. No-one can change what has happened in the past. No-one! Hence the old saying about 'water under the bridge'. We can't change the past, we can only learn from it. If one can't do anything about the past, then there is only today and an un-numbered amount of tomorrows. For me there are no coulda-beens. Also just as there is no way to change the past, there is no destiny either. The only way to predict the future is to create it.

V665V665

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

It's not that leaving JW's is a happy thing, because we all need to learn, or relearn a lot of things about the world. We need to learn how to see ourselves again. In some cases, we may not know who we truly are.

Believe me, if you are just leaving, there is no way you are happy right now on certain levels. The fact that life is so short though, to me, means that we don't spend any more time being angry and bitter then we have to, and move on.

I know its been said so many times here before, and I hope it doesn't become trite, but the best revenge against the GB is to live well and be happy. They are the ones who say if you leave that you are angry and without hope. Puleeze! The more former JW's go on to live normal, happy lives, the better for the group that wants to leave. It's also another false prophecy by the GB.

I remember so many times as an elder talking about those who had left, and how they couldn't possibly be happy. I didn't understand of course. We all comforted ourselves by saying "WE" were happy while "THEY" couldn't possibly be happy. That's what JW's do. That's how they are trained to think. That's why it is imperative that if we really want to prove the GB wrong, the only thing to do is move on without them and be happy.

It's never that simple. But happiness is a journey, not a destination. It all starts with that first step.

• Room 215
    Room 215

Right Jeff, yesterday is history, tomorrow's a mystery; all we have is today... that's why it's called "The Present!"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit