JW Briefcase Selling, Or A Hoax Business??

by ladonna 13 Replies latest jw friends

• ladonna
    ladonna

I found this surfing around, and thought, whew...these dubs are really making money!!!

http://www.bookbind.net/prices.htm

One problem; the site links to a friend of ours right here on this forum.

**Confused**

Good Afternoon
    Please Note:
    We are Jehovah's Witnesses and
    our products are for Jehovah's Witnesses only.
    For information regarding Jehovah's Witnesses,
    please visit www.watchtower.org
    Now either this guy is for real and likes the site he has linked to, or he is making money off the dubs....

Made me laugh, anyway!!!

Kent?????????????????????

Ana

Manners require time, and nothing is more vulgar than haste.
    —Ralph Waldo Emerson

• LDH
    LDH

Click on the link "About Joel Vandenberg"

I come from a rich spiritual background

Well, it takes more than that to make me come, LOL!

• Patriot
    Patriot

Hey Ladonna,

I remember that in the parking lot of the District Conventions, there use to be "brothers" selling these bookcovers.

They had a whole table and assortment of binders and covers for mags. and tracts, door to door slips and what not.

And boy were they making $$. I used to be a "Captain" in the parking lot assignment and I used to see these bro's pulling "knots" of bills out of their pockets.

Guess I'm in the wrong business!

Mav.-

• VeniceIT
    VeniceIT

DID you see those prices talk about a rip off!!!!

Ven

"Injustice will continue until those who are not affected by it are as outraged as those who are."

• ladonna
    ladonna

Patriot, yes, I remember them....$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

LDH--me too....

Ven, I agree, what a rip-off!!!!!!

Ana

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi Ladonna: There have been a number of bookbinding companies that have served JWs over the years ... some non-JW owned and some owned by JWs. You mention briefcases ... I have a funny Elder Briefcase story ... but I am afriad that someone will get on my case over the Elder thing. ...

• ladonna
    ladonna

Hi Amazing,

Please, please post your tale on this thread???? I have asked and I am sure others would enjoy a tale. Stuff those who have problems.!

Even "I" used to like the "best" bible

Ana

• SpinDoctor
    SpinDoctor

Criticizing the prices this business charges is similar to criticizing Randy for the prices he charges in his business. And most here would defend Randy’s prices. Like any business, overhead and profit are determined by business volume, which may be lower than a similar secular business may have. Also, the law of supply and demand determines prices. There must be a sufficient demand for their services to justify the prices.

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi LaDonna: Okay ... here's my Breifcase Story.

When I first became a JW, I noticed that the Congregation Servant [PO] had a Big Briefcase with nice piano hinges. It was about 18" high, 12" wide, and 24" long. When he opened it, he had a virtual Library in it. Then in time, I noticed that the Asst. Congregation Servant, Bible Study Servant and the TM School Servant all had these same Big Briefcases. I was afraid to ask where they got it, so I continued to use a standard business breifcase.

Then about three years later when the Elder arrangement started, I noticed that several of the prospective new Elders started carrying the Big Briefcases like the old Congregation Servant had. And sure enough, they were appointed as Elders.

Sooooo ... I was "reaching out' like all the rest. And thought that maybe I might get a bigger breifcase. I worked in San Francisco and found a store called Harband's that sold the exact model that the Elders carried. It was waterproof, sturdy, the same nice piano hinges, and double flap. Had a bunch of cool compartments too. So, I said to myself that this was a good thing ... I will look like Elder material. I got a really good deal on it too. And all my stuff fit with room to spare for my future Elder's manual, etc.

I immediately started using the Big Briefcase. I did not say anything to anyone, because I figured that way I would fit in gradually. Then, about two months later we had our Circuit Assembly. Lo and behold ... one of the parts on the program was about younger Ministerial Servants reaching out to be Elders. The Society was trying to show how "Immature" MS might try to become Elders, but not have a good grasp of spiritual maturity. One of the comments made from the JW playing the MS role in the drama was that he even bought a "Big Briefcase" to look like an Elder.

I was so damned embarassed I could have vomited. I wondered if the Society spotted me coming and designed a part in the program specifically for me. So, during break, I took my nice Big Breifcase out to my car, and pulled out just a few things I really needed. I found a small carrying case I kept with extra things, and placed a few things in it. I didn't even tell my wife because I was so ashamed.

After the Assembly, I unpacked the Big new Breifcase, and tucked it away in the shed for a long time. I didn't use it again until I was actually appointed an Elder. Then, I enjoyed it for a number of years, Flock Book, Judicial Notes, all tucked away with the other Elder junk.

When I left the religion in May 1992, I retired the Briefcase. I tried a few times to use it in business, but somehow, everytime I looked at the Big old Briefcase it reminded me of Elder days ... and I just put it back in storage where it is to this day.

• Faithful2Jah
    Faithful2Jah

Amazing: Now that was a funny story! You keep up that stuff and even Eric is gonna start liking you. : )

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit