WT addresses the "rapture" teaching.

by wifibandit 46 Replies latest watchtower bible

• a watcher
    a watcher

"...the remaining faithful anointed will be gathered together in an instant of time."

Interesting.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Therefore, while we do not use the term “rapture” here because of its wrong connotation, the remaining faithful anointed will be gathered together in an instant of time. - w2015, 7/15, p. 19, paragraph 15

So what is the "wrong connotation" which they wish to avoid? I know, other religions have been teaching this for over a century and they don't want to admit that the other folks got there first!

Also, ol' Chuck T. Russell apparently believed in it too:

See:

• blondie
    blondie

I don't doubt that they teach that everyone of the 144,000 has to die as a human and be resurrected as a spirit creature to heaven.

I thought there was no such change in the non-jw teaching of the rapture.

I used to ask if all the anointed had to be in heaven before the wedding of Jesus and the bride could take place...no answer...that is a conundrum seeing that there are so many young jws that profess to be anointed. That means that the wedding would always be pushed ahead as a younger one partook....if they think that all anointed would die of old age, 80 to 90 years old (some older). So that means that some would have to die earlier, not a death due to old age.

Here is one description of the rapture.

At the rapture, those who are in Christ (dead or living) will be changed into new glorified, immortal bodies and then we are “caught up” into the air to meet the Lord.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Blondie, what is the source of that definition of the rapture which you posted?

As far as I can tell, it is completely consistent with current JW "theology."

• sloppyjoe2
    sloppyjoe2
    They really could one day promote the trinity and call it something different and JWs would lap it up.
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

Oubliette - "So what is the 'wrong connotation' which they wish to avoid?"

The suggestion that they aren't really as different from other evangelical denominations as they portray themselves to be.

sloppyjoe2 - "They really could one day promote the trinity and call it something different and JWs would lap it up."

Damn; I'd never even thought of that, but you're probably right.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Vidiot: ... they aren't really as different from other evangelical denominations as they portray themselves to be.

That was exactly the point I was implying with my question! Exactly!!!

• wifibandit
    wifibandit

The Watchtower, July 15, 2013, pages 13-14

16 Fifth, shining brightly. Jesus ends his prophecy by saying: “At that time the righteous ones will shine as brightly as the sun in the kingdom of their Father.” (Matt. 13:43) When and where will that be? The fulfillment of these words still lies ahead. Jesus foretold, not an activity currently taking place on earth, but a future event occurring in heaven. * Consider two reasons for this conclusion.

17 First, the “when” question. Jesus said: “At that time the righteous ones will shine.” The phrase “at that time” evidently refers to the event that Jesus had just mentioned, namely, the ‘pitching of the weeds into the fiery furnace.’ That occurs during the final part of the great tribulation. Thus, the ‘shining brightly’ of the anointed must occur at that future time as well. Second, the “where” question. Jesus said that the righteous ones will ‘shine in the kingdom.’ What does that mean? All faithful anointed ones who are still on earth after the initial part of the great tribulation has passed will already have received their final sealing. Then, as indicated in Jesus’ prophecy about the great tribulation, they will be gathered to heaven. (Matt. 24:31) There they will shine “in the kingdom of their Father,” and shortly after the battle of Armageddon, they will share as Jesus’ joyous bride in “the marriage of the Lamb.”—Rev. 19:6-9.

Footnote: Paragraph 16: Daniel 12:3 states that “the ones having insight [anointed Christians] will shine like the brightness of the expanse.” While still on earth, they do this by sharing in the preaching work. However,Matthew 13:43 points to the time when they will shine brightly in the heavenly Kingdom. Previously, we thought that both scriptures referred to the same activity—the preaching work.

The Watchtower, July 15, 2015, pages 18-19.

14 What will happen after Gog of Magog starts the attack on God’s people? Both Matthew and Mark record the same event: “[The Son of man] will send out the angels and will gather his chosen ones together from the four winds, from earth’s extremity to heaven’s extremity.” (Mark 13:27; Matt. 24:31) This gathering work does not refer to the initial ingathering of anointed ones; nor does it refer to the final sealing of the remaining anointed ones. (Matt. 13:37, 38) That sealing happens before the outbreak of the great tribulation. (Rev. 7:1-4) So, what is this gathering work that Jesus mentions? It is the time when the remaining ones of the 144,000 will receive their heavenly reward. (1 Thess. 4:15-17; Rev. 14:1) This event will take place at some point after the beginning of the attack by Gog of Magog. (Ezek. 38:11) Then these words of Jesus will be fulfilled: “At that time the righteous ones will shine as brightly as the sun in the Kingdom of their Father.”Matt. 13:43. *

15 Does this mean that there will be a “rapture” of the anointed ones? Many in Christendom believe, according to this teaching, that Christians will be bodily caught up from the earth. Then, they expect that Jesus will visibly return to rule the earth. However, the Bible clearly shows that “the sign of the Son of man” will appear in heaven and that Jesus will come “on the clouds of heaven.” (Matt. 24:30) Both of these expressions imply invisibility. Additionally, “flesh and blood cannot inherit God’s Kingdom.” So those who will be taken to heaven will first need to be “changed, in a moment, in the blink of an eye, during the last trumpet.” * (Read 1 Corinthians 15:50-53.) Therefore, while we do not use the term “rapture” here because of its wrong connotation, the remaining faithful anointed will be gathered together in an instant of time.

• blondie
    blondie

Oubliette, the WTS teaches that they have to die physically first and be resurrected as a spirit creature (because flesh and blood cannot inherit the spiritual kingdom). My experience with many churches is they believe that they will just go to heaven. LDS for example believes that "flesh and bone" can inherit.

This requires a deeper understand of what non-jw Christian religions believe (three levels, individual member viewpoint, local church/pastor's viewpoint, and the national church viewpoint which can be very different). Do not assume they all teach the same.

" At the rapture, those who are in Christ (dead or living) will be changed into new glorified, immortal bodies and then we are “caught up” into the air to meet the Lord. "

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Believer's%20Corner/Doctrines/rapture.htm

It would be good to survey these churches to find out what they mean by "changed." I doubt it will match up to the WTS explanation of needing to die physically first. Ask these religions if dead Christians participate in the "rapture" or is it only for those still living physically on earth.

You will find that they as well dance around the terms....ask them if changed means dying physically and then given a spirit body, immortal (WTS teaching)

• cappytan
    cappytan

I was a full time servant for over six years and a high hour publisher when I wasn't pioneering.

I have to say, I have never met anyone in the ministry who believed in the rapture and believed that it would be their physical bodies taken to heaven.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit