Hey, good news, and some advice needed

by ColdRedRain 9 Replies latest jw friends

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

I don't know if I've shared this with the board before, but I finally got my driver's license. I'm one step closer to getting the hell out of my JW family's reach and finding independence.

And even much better news, A friend of a friend offered me a job as a sandwich delivery driver and my boss from my seasonal job offered me a job as a marketer/snow shoveler. However, I'm lacking a car for both jobs. I was wondering if any of you would know if this would be a good deal on a car. http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ram/cto/2033912346.html I can't afford much since I'm still on disability bennies, but this is just going to be a stopgap solution until I save up about 1K for a real car and get off gubment bennies. No decent conservative should be on them. :P

Thoughts?

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

don't know about the car but conrgats

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

$650 is pretty cheap for a car if it runs...I'd have a mechanic look it over to make sure you won't be looking any major repair bills in the face as soon as you buy it. If you could get a year of use out of it, it would be a good deal.

Good Luck!

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

take it to a mechanic. its the best option

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

I noticed the ad didn't say how many miles were on the car. I bought my boys a Sentra and it ran forever. It was in good shape though. I know you are in Minn. where this happens to cars a lot but I don't like the look of that rust, it makes me wonder if it is a safe car and if someone has maintained it properly. Maybe it's only cosmetic. Be sure to have someone check the Brakes, shocks and Wheel Bearings. Run a CarFax on the VIN number to see if it's been in accidents.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

You just got your license? Is it safe to assume you're a minor then?!

How about hanging around a bit longer with your horrible JW family until you get enough education for a job that will support yourself and eventually a family, if you decide so for your future?!

Be wise; when I was going through my teen rebelious kick, which lasted well into my mid 20s, at least I was smart enough not to leave the fold until I was done with a college education and held a job that could support myself and all my indulgences very nicely at that time.

Acting hastily will make for many headaches for you and your family, as terrible as you think they are, because, like some of my family members, that hate the Organization, but there they are hanging around us JWs in the family for help all the time!

Be patient and make your plans as firm as possible. Right now, as you describe them, those plans are weak and flaky at best. Come now, what's the rush?!

DY

• cantleave
    cantleave

Been on here since 2002 - can't be that much of minor unless he saw the light as a preteen.

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

That's right, I earned my license as an adult. Here's what happened:

My dad was supposed to take me out to get driving practice when I was around 22 so I could get my license. I was homeschooled, so I didn't have any opportunity to get a driver's license in high school driver's ed, so we saved up and paid a driving instructor. I failed my driver's test a few times, so my dad was going to take me out. One problem. My dad was the only driver in the house. My mother never learned how to drive and always depended on other people to give her rides. She's had many opportunities to learn how to drive but always threw a temper tantrum at whoever tried to teach her. I'm sure she has some sort of personality disorder but I can't point my finger to which one it is.

My current car that's in my disposal right now, I'm not sure if it could work. The battery's out and the car won't open because the locks are electronically operated. I can't disengage the locks.

Anyway, if that car works, I'll probably be up and running by the end of the week.

• nelly136
    nelly136

would it be worth going to a scrap yard and buying a decent battery and charging it up to see if the car you have at your disposal will work?

once its got a working battery on the doors will open? (worth checking fuses too)

• nelly136
    nelly136

looks like the seals are gone on the one in the ad?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit