Should we be kind to Mentally ILL people?

by asilentone 23 Replies latest jw experiences

• looloo
    looloo

yes, my daughter has mental health problems due to childhood abuse by a ex min servant , they can not help the way they are just as physically disabled people cant help the way they are ! and either problem could happen to any one of us at anytime , ie car accidents could cause us to be disabled , losing a child (god forbid ) rape and childhood abuse can cause mental health problems , we should show compassion to everyone !

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Except the ones that are mean spirited and get their kicks out of ruining others' lives. This includes people that intentionally set out to funnel others into being sexually attracted to same-sex children. It includes those who intend to force people into dependence, perhaps by draining them financially with various rules and then forcing them to move in. It also includes those who hide things in the congregation, such as killing and eating babies and molesting children to ruin their lives, from the authorities. Being kind to such people almost always results in them seizing the opportunity to ruin your own life.

• jgnat
    jgnat

No-one said that being kind means being a doormat. Psychopaths are mentally ill. They often get their kicks by hurting others. A mentally ill person experiencing a psychic break might injure those around them unintentionally. I protect myself from harm. If a mentally ill person is unaware that their condition has got out of control, I will help them spend some time in an assisted facility until they regain control. Helping a person get better is a kindness, even if it may not seem that way to them at the time. I might have to distance myself for my own mental health.

Sufferers may do irreversable harm to those closest to them, when not in their right mind. After recovery, with sometimes vague memories of their bad behavior, it may be difficult or impossible to recover from the harm they have done.

There are very many mentally ill people who find their balance and go on to lead quirky, productive lives. I think our society is enriched by our tolerance for their difference.

I'm all for finding a cure.

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali

It should be noted that framing unusual mental activity as illness limits and colors our perception of such phenomena in the first place. Also, notice how we frame things in terms of the individual as opposed to the collective. It's certainly a good idea to protect yourself, but if one were to look at it in terms of participating in the larger collective then it isn't about one individual helping another individual, you'd be looking at the big picture and how you and others fit into it.

I'm not all that concerned about the street person, schizophrenics and illness of that variety, I'm more interested in those with a great deal of influence but causes a great deal of harm to a lot of people, either directly or indirectly - AND the fact that they are considered healthy individuals and looked up to whether people agree with their views or not. If we think of these people as healthy because they happen to be high functioning in our society, and yet there's no question as to the harm they cause, shouldn't we re-evaluate what we think of as mental illness, or at least what might be considered serious conditions?

Attention tends to be attracted to individual, personal drama of some type - but frankly more pervasive pathologies of this type is rather transparent and therefore people hardly notice it, let alone try to understand and address it in any way.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit