Bart Ehrman

by Joey Jo-Jo 44 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    This itself is an interpretation. Why should anyone accept your view? How did you reach this conclusion?

Not sure what you mean...are you saying that the bible has nothing BUT Gods commandments and principles to live by ?

Cofty,

A bit outside the thread, but have you read The irrational atheist ?

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    Not sure what you mean...are you saying that the bible has nothing BUT Gods commandments and principles to live by ?

Is the Bible the word of God? If not, why do you say so? Is it because you've read it and you don't interpret it as being God's word?

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

The bible is a book that has written in it, the teachings of God passed on to Man, and many of these teachings were inspired by God and others were written down by man. The Word of God is Jesus Christ and while the bible my lead us to Christ, it can only take us so far, the rest is up to Us individually.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    The bible is a book that has written in it, the teachings of God passed on to Man, and many of these teachings were inspired by God and others were written down by man.

You state it as a fact, but it is just an opinion. How did you reach such a conclusion?

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    You state it as a fact, but it is just an opinion. How did you reach such a conclusion?

Well, putting aside that all we have is opinions and the only fact we have about the bible is that SOMEONE worte it and it is heavy and mades of various materials, I came by that conclusion from not only reading the bible and trying to read it from the POV of ancient man, but also from reading commentaries and various books of differing views about the bible, in the end I came to my own conclusions ( leaving out any mention of personal revelation which is only anecdotal anyways).

I don't think that God said that shrimps are an abomination and that marriage to a rapist is the best God could come up with, know what I mean?

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    I don't think that God said that shrimps are an abomination and that marriage to a rapist is the best God could come up with, know what I mean?

I hear you. You argument, for the most part, will by with folks who do believe these things about the book.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Back on topic, here is the direct link to that March 2010 debate with Ehrman.

http://www.ffc.org/video187.htm

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    I hear you. You argument, for the most part, will by with folks who do believe these things about the book.

Yes, so I have been told...such is life :)

By the way, having read Barts book, have you read his and Metzgers about the transmission, development and corrupotion of the NT?

I am almost done the "irrational atheist" and I will be re-reading that one after.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

I have only read 'Misquoting Jesus'. Within this book, he does not suggest that people leave Christianity. Rather, he explains why he believes the Gospels to be an unreliable testimony of what actually happened. To him, if he cannot know what the texts originally said, they are of limited value.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

And that is Bart's opinion, itis funny that his own mentor never felt that way.

One of Bart's "classmates" mentioned online that he felt that Bart's "rebellion" against it was that he felt slighted since he USED to beleive in bible inerrancy.

I don't think that is ALL of it but maybe some of it.

Here is one review of that book:

http://answersforthefaith.com/bookreviews/misquoting-jesus-by-ehrman/

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit