How do you feel about religion as a whole?

by FatherFirst 67 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

As an atheist I am pretty mild when it comes to religion in theory. I don't care if you believe in fairies and leprechauns. We've been religious ever since we were painting cave walls. We worshipped what we ate. Now however we worship what eats us - demon sky gods and other monstrosities.

I only get aggressive when said religion tries to impose itself in the public arena such as school prayers or imposing their sacred texts on the public. This, the US, is not a Christian nation nor a Buddhist or Hindu or atheist nation. It is a nation for any, every and no religion. Secularism - religious neutrality - is the proper stance for a nation state.

• Twitch
    Twitch

JeffT raises some good points IMO. Beyond the ideology of the church, people in need are being helped, at least in one way or another. There is a social aspect that people like and need. I don't see much hate in that, really.

Religion as a whole? I'm somewhat ambivalent about the more extreme points on the curve but more at peace with it than I ever have been overall. Less idealistic and less offended, less driven about being "right", less angry about god. This doesn't mean I condone what is clearly wrong or illegal where or when such things are linked to religion, At the end of the day, I find I really don't care what someone believes if they're a person that has some human decency and compassion or at least respects the rights of others.

There is good and bad in everything and everyone. Some have more of one or the other. I try to go on a person by person basis.

• millie210
    millie210

Religion wouldnt be so successful if it didnt fill a need. That is just a reality.

It is interesting that all religions have similar functions in welcoming the spring, celebrating harvests and winter and so on. They all have cleanliness, marital and birth rituals and they provide structure and community for people who cant meet those needs another way.

That being said, I am not a person who feels the need for an organized religion and quite honestly it was a hassle to squeeze in to that mold back when I thought I "had the truth". I struggled with boredom and chafed at the conformity required.

Now that I know "the truth about the truth" I feel released from the burden of trying to force something that isnt natural to my individual make up. Im free to go my own way and that is a little scary but a wonderful relief.

• Protarded
    Protarded
    Well, I've never thought about religion as a hole. But I think I'd liken it to a butt- hole. The reason being that it spews s***t. However, that's my assessment. 😜
  • ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

ALL religions = snare and a racket

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I don't belong to any religion, but I don't condemn religion as a whole. While there certainly been a lot of evil done in the name of religion, I have seen some good religions too. While I don't believe in God, I don't think everyone is ready to accept that he doesn't exist. Until we get to that point, I think a good religion, one that accepts science and doesn't promote hatred, is better than a bad one. Maybe eventually religion will be done away with, or maybe it will evolve into something better, who knows? I do think you cannot force people to give up that which brings them comfort, which for many is belief in God.

• FatherFirst
    FatherFirst

To JeffT and those advocating religious good, albeit admirable and considerable, do you believe it has or can make up for the bad done in the name of religion e.g. human sacrifice, the inquisition, WWll ect.... In 2010 a global religious demographic study was done where it showed even today 85% of the population is affiliated with one religion or another. So I don't think that the same good wouldn't be done without religion; there just hasn't been anyone else to do the job. let me ask this, do you guys think it's possible that although most religion is probably less intolerant than cults like the jws, there is still a form of indoctrination in all religions, a false fear that a person can't be just as good or moral without their religious faith leading the way, and while religion may preach tolerance it inevitably leads to the exact opposite? I just feel like we should take what we already know and build on that. Even in the days of Socrates the study of moral philosophy had to do with well being not god, the idea that living according to ones nature would lead to happiness and it's in our nature as a reasoning species unlike any other to be kind, virtuous, and moral. I don't think trying to be good out of fear of damnation or hope of reward are very moral reasons to be moral. Like anything else, If your gonna do it, you should do it for you.

• Fernando
    Fernando

I agree with your OP FatherFirst.

For me, religion is the arsenic in the honey.

Personally I have found what I've been looking for my whole life, in faith and spirituality, which to me are the very opposite of religion.

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny

I never had any any interest whatsoever in religion. My parents were converted while I was still in my childhood and i loathed the whole damn thing with a passion. I found meetings incredibly boring and despised door-to-door work. Eventually I became convinced that the fault was mine and did my best to measure up, but it was never in my heart.

These days my interests revolve solely around the sociological implications of being a witness, I'm especially concerned for the children of witness parents, most of whom are being brought up to be social outcasts. The only other JW interest I have is proving them to be false prophets by quoting their own literature back at them, but I most confess that is something of a fun thing for me..

• JeffT
    JeffT

Fatherfirst, I don't know if today's good outweighs yesterday's bad. I'm sure the people who live in Tent City appreciate having a place to live. Seattle is a very liberal city, and one of the most unchurched. Yet it is the churches that are largely meeting this need.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tent_city#Seattle.2C_Washington

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tent_City_4

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit