How do you feel about religion as a whole?

by FatherFirst 67 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Giordano
    Giordano

To go to jhine's point...... the charity or good works religion provides.

There was a time in this countries history that charities filled a gap, without the soup kitchen during the depression people might have starved to death. Hospitals were often run by religions. The Shakers took people in providing work and food.

Religions can provide some form of comfort for a person who has experienced a loss.

The problem with religion though is that it no longer has a real function in our Society. We don't need it for education, for hospital care, for food. The rituals seem as hollow as the JW memorial service.

Religious morality is dated and quickly falling away....note the recent change about how we feel about gay's, and for a long time how we view couples living together without being married.......... that is no longer a stigma in most places in this country.

Science, in my opinion, has finally made it possible not to be religious.

Science also allows that our human knowledge and practical experience does not have to be perfect. We don't have to suspend belief or our intelligence to make belief work. We don't have to believe that every scientific theory or speculation has to be believed. Contrast that with high control religions.

We can accept that what we now know about the cosmos and how life started and evolved are not writ in stone as the ten commandments were. We add to what we know, day by day we understand more about our world, the people on the planet, the science of why things work or don't work.

This is civilisation moving forward by no longer tolerating religious ignorance.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

My family and I seem to be managing just fine without it.

I'm pretty much agnostic, but I do have a degree of respect for churches that fairly utilize the democratic process, honestly accept the discoveries of science and history regardless of the implications, embrace fiscal and policy transparency, and foster positive community activism.

• ivanatahan
    ivanatahan

I, for one, support the progression of mankind. Having said that, I feel that religion is indeed the "opium of the masses" and only acts as an anchor that hinders the progress of mankind. Of course, some religions aren't as much of an anchor as, say, the three main monotheistic religions.

Many people are just find without religion, but there are some people who need the hope, albeit false hope, that religion can offer. I don't need that hope, and likely never will. To be honest, the Jecultah's Blindness religion has made me hate religion as a whole, although I appreciate the culture and traditions of religions, like the architecture of Orthodox churches or the Hajj to Mecca.

• cofty
    cofty

I think there are lots of reasons to do good things that don't involve lying to ourselves.

Religion in the west will continue to decline through education. The rise of Islam is one of the biggest threats we face right now.

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway

I have found a great religious community, a liberal Protestant, educated, free minded, open dialogued, various opinioned church. Most of us believe in evolution and gay rights. Some in my church teach at a local Ivy League school.

I enjoy worshipping in a group. We do many many community projects together. Yes, some extreme religions are detrimental to the progression of society, but don't disregard those churches that are helping society and not hindering progress.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once
    I agree, religion is a hole. Oh my bad. Should have read closer. ...still though
  • stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

if people wish to worship a carved plank of wood--fine--its their choice.

religion is where other people move in and organise the plank-worshippers to make a fat living for themselves.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

How do you feel about religion as a whole?

....................It`s Just a Hole...."DON`T FALL IN"

.................Image result for hole

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

There are some aspects of religion that I absolutely detest. Other aspects, such as fidelity in marriage, good manners, clean speech, politeness, etc., I admire. However, I know that religion doesn't have a monopoly on these good aspects.

The one thing that pisses me off most about religion is the feebleness of Western governments to involve themselves with monitoring religions. This has got to change.

It must never be ok for a religious person to act in an unacceptable manner and then say: "it's my religion, innit!"

• JeffT
    JeffT

Anything that brings a big bunch of people together will produce both good and bad results; religion, politics, soccer, pop music, freeways, beer, you name it. I don't think painting entire groups with one big brush is helpful.

Here in Seattle we have had, for many years, a roaming tent encampment for homeless people that are allowed to set up at certain locations for a period of time. Many, if not most, of those locations have been in church parking lots. For a very long time one was set up next to a church that let us use their fellowship hall for an AA meeting. The camp was clean, safe, quiet and well run. For that matter, the AA group had an inexpensive place to meet.

So who here wants to provide an alternative location for these two groups?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit