Any ex-JW's going to a different church? If so, which one?

by 1Robinella 21 Replies latest jw friends

• 1Robinella
    1Robinella

Hello. Since I've been out of the JW religion, I've had no desire to attend any churches. Although I've always liked the way many churches look with the (stained glass, etc). Growing up our KH was so ugly and boring to look at. Someone picked drabby gray carpet through out and nothing was hanging from the walls, not even ugly fake plants. My sister and neice decided to attend a non-demoninational church held in a hall. Although they are regular, I was never interested. After much insistance I went with them on two occasions. Once they had a comic minister visiting, kind of weird although he was pretty hilarious. But they do a lot of singing like rock/christian music, everyone stands up and follows along on these large screens. To me, that's always been weird and not for me.

But lately, for some reason I've been meeting with the local priest. I'm not a Catholic but for some reason I was drawn to this particular church. I've always had such issues with that religion (Dark ages, priests bad behavior with little boys...) I'm not looking to get all wrapped up into another religion, not every religion is perfect but it's the closeness to god I suppose I'm looking for. I still believe that you don't have to go to church to be close to god, look at the trees, flowers, sunsets and sunrises and all the animals and pets that we have to be close to god.

Anyone else understand?

• clarity
    clarity

1Robinella hi,

I do understand what you are saying. For me ... not so sure it is a closeness to Jesus/God I'm looking for, or smiles and human connection. Maybe both.

Feels like there are so many new thoughts floating around in my head. New ways of approaching things now and I need help to herd all these little gems into one place!

Whatever I do or wherever I go, all I know for sure is this:

A. that I don't want a collection plate stuck under my nose.

B. do not want to be hounded to do anything.(other than what I volunteer for).

c. need to have beautiful inspiring music.

d. prayers and teaching must not be in 'old english'

e. prayers and teaching must be genuine and upbuilding

f. the whole room must exude warmth and inclusion

g. no door to door preaching.

h. cliques are discouraged.

i. all are treated equally

j. no punishment if I stop.

This may take awhile!

clarity

• 1Robinella
    1Robinella

Hi Clarity

I suppose after all these years being away, I'm still a bit gun shy. But I've always had a close relationship with God/Jesus I've never stopped praying. For me I suppose coming from the JW religion my entire life that I have moved on and let the anger go because anger was holding me back. I used to get really mad and angry whenever I'd think about some injustice that has been done to my family and to me personally. But for me, I HAD to let it all go and somehow find a way to forgive my parents for being involved in this organization, forgive the lame elders for making my life extra confusing and sometimes brought out the worst in me. Forgive the so-called friends...just let it go and brrreeeaaatthhhh.....One major thing I have learned in life is that people are people we are all inperfect and even if something is asked from me I have all the control in the world. I don't have to unless I want to. For me that's big. I do agree with your a-j list it gave me some things to think about.

Robin

• serein
    serein

hi im still a beleiver in god but stoped going khall about a year ago

,iv looked in to other religions in past befor becoming a witt, but they were worse than the witts,i also looked at somthing otherday on line and they are called the united church of god, well when i saw them i found them interesting

but not to like join only cos they reminded me so much of the witts its astonishingly so alike,

infact next time an elder knocks on my door saying we want u back im gona say iv found a new brain washer to follow but i duno whos right as u both same,lol (not realy im to scared) cos iv got one who keeps coming round trying to get me back, il tell my story soon so u all know why i left.

• 3Mozzies
    3Mozzies

For me jumping from one religion to another one would be as:

I believe that a lot of ex-JWs never join another religion.

I believe we wake up to what religion is all about and therefore don't want anything to do with religion again. (a positive in my eyes)

Although I've always liked the way many churches look with the (stained glass, etc). Growing up our KH was so ugly and boring to look at.

So true, I've been inside different Churches (sightseeing) around the world and found most of them absolutely stunning! Kingdum Hells are as boring as the crap the Watchtower prints.

3Mozzies

• designs
    designs

I made it a point to study different Faiths and Beliefs and to go to their Houses of Worship when I left the Society, sort of a cognitive existential journey I needed to make- Judaism, and various Christian denominations. That chapter is now closed, but it was worth it, and now new and more positive venues are opening up.

• Think About It
    Think About It

I went to different churches growing up. Attend a mass in Notre Dame and toured other historic churches, but not interested in religion since leaving the JW's. I've got no problem with what church any X-JW attends if they decide that, but I think it would be two faced for any X-JW to join the Catholic Church and still bang on the WTS for it's pedophile scandal. If I would go to another church, it would be as a visitor because someone invited me to a special event.

Think About It

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali

I went to the Church of Religious Science for a while, as well as other not so church like groups and whether or not the services are intended that way, it has become clear to me that people go because they want to feel good. It is also pretty obvious that it is extremely rare to find what you might call spiritual/Godly people that can distinguish between this impulse to want to be nurtured (and I also think of nature/nurture) and spirituality in any other sense. If spirituality is about our nature, then what most groups are doing for the most part actually does not address that and is instead largely concerned with nurturing and conditioning.

And one of the things I've found is most religions have no interest in the individual becoming mature, if anything their idea of maturity is becoming more firmly conditioned in the values they teach - but that's just being set in your ways. This seems to be so ubiquitous that people can't seem to even imagine anything beyond living by a specific set of values, as if we're just machines with the goal of perfectly following this code of instruction.

Anyway, I think it does have to do with a social need, or wanting a combination of spiritual and social need if you like. From what I've seen though very few people actually qualify as an authority. Even when there is something a little deeper it most often turns out it's a form of illusion, but it feels good while you're immersed.

• ValiantBoy
    ValiantBoy

I attended and joined a United Church of Christ for a while before ultimately embracing the atheism I've always felt. The UCC offers a great amount of personal freedom and typically shies away from strict dogmatism. Additionally the UCC is very devoted to social justice, which was perhaps the biggest draw for me. The pastor of the church I attended remains a friend of mine and I still turn to her for her input on matters of faith and social responsibility from time to time.

• Kobe
    Kobe

The main reason I stopped believing in what the organization had to say is that my brother showed me a Messianic Teacher. A Messianic tries to put the Hebrew roots back into the faith, undersating how the Hebrew would have thought and their culture I believe makes the scriptures easier to understand. A Messianic doesn't go to church, they live their life in accordance with God. I have listent to several Messianic teacher, and yes they do have some different views on certain things, but it's felt that you have to determine what you to believe truth or not. We can have disagreements, and at the end of it all we can both agree when the Messiah returns, he'll set all things straight.

I have come to a greater appreciation of what God has done for me, and have learned way more than the organization could ever offer me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit