What Makes The Apostle Paul Better Than Me?

by Dark Side 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Dark Side
    Dark Side

One thing in particular has bothered me since well before I left the WTBTS

It's been years since I read anything in the Bible, other than quotes on this board, so I had to look up these scriptures online.

Before the Apostle Paul became a christian, he was, by his own admission, an asshole. For example:

Galatians 1:13-14 (New International Version)

13 For you have heard of my previous way of life in Judaism, how intensely I persecuted the church of God and tried to destroy it. 14 I was advancing in Judaism beyond many Jews of my own age and was extremely zealous for the traditions of my fathers.

Philippians 3:6 (New International Version)

6 as for zeal, persecuting the church; as for legalistic righteousness, faultless.

Acts 8:1-3 (New International Version)

1And Saul was there, giving approval to his death. On that day a great persecution broke out against the church at Jerusalem, and all except the apostles were scattered throughout Judea and Samaria. 2 Godly men buried Stephen and mourned deeply for him. 3 But Saul began to destroy the church. Going from house to house, he dragged off men and women and put them in prison.

Despite his actions, Jesus found Paul worthy enough to profoundly change his life

Acts 9:3-9 (New International Version)

3 As he neared Damascus on his journey, suddenly a light from heaven flashed around him. 4 He fell to the ground and heard a voice say to him, "Saul, Saul, why do you persecute me?" 5 "Who are you, Lord?" Saul asked. "I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting," he replied. 6 "Now get up and go into the city, and you will be told what you must do." 7 The men traveling with Saul stood there speechless; they heard the sound but did not see anyone. 8 Saul got up from the ground, but when he opened his eyes he could see nothing. So they led him by the hand into Damascus. 9 For three days he was blind, and did not eat or drink anything.

For years I tried very hard to be a "good witness". During my early teen years, my young adult years and my years as a father and husband, I prayed many many times to Jehovah to help me change my ways and to conform. I literally asked God to change my heart so that I could accept and understand His will, as taught by the JWs. It never happened

The bible says that God picks and chooses between us:

Romans 9:17-18 (New International Version)

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

Before the Apostle Paul became a christian, he was, by his own admission, an asshole.

LOL, I'm sorry, I haven't finished reading your entire post yet, and I will, but this really livened up my day. LOL

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Before the Apostle Paul became a christian, he was, by his own admission, an asshole.

Once a cult leader, always a cult leader.

-Sab

• snowbird
    snowbird
    For years I tried very hard to be a "good witness". During my early teen years, my young adult years and my years as a father and husband, I prayed many many times to Jehovah to help me change my ways and to conform. I literally asked God to change my heart so that I could accept and understand His will, as taught by the JWs. It never happened.

What do you want to change about yourself, and why?

Syl

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

He could make a tent? can you?

:P

• Dark Side
    Dark Side

So, what I've always wondered is, if God can harden people, He can also soften people. Why did He chose to let me be?

Was I born with a hard heart, unable to be a "good witness"? Was I born with the potential to be a "good witness", but instead let my heart become hardened?

What made Paul more special to Jehovah than I am?

• snowbird
    snowbird
    Acts 9
    The Blinding of Saul

1 -2 All this time Saul was breathing down the necks of the Master's disciples, out for the kill. He went to the Chief Priest and got arrest warrants to take to the meeting places in Damascus so that if he found anyone there belonging to the Way, whether men or women, he could arrest them and bring them to Jerusalem.

3 -4 He set off. When he got to the outskirts of Damascus, he was suddenly dazed by a blinding flash of light. As he fell to the ground, he heard a voice: "Saul, Saul, why are you out to get me?"

5 -6 He said, "Who are you, Master?"

"I am Jesus, the One you're hunting down. I want you to get up and enter the city. In the city you'll be told what to do next."

7 -9 His companions stood there dumbstruck—they could hear the sound, but couldn't see anyone—while Saul, picking himself up off the ground, found himself stone-blind. They had to take him by the hand and lead him into Damascus. He continued blind for three days. He ate nothing, drank nothing.

10 There was a disciple in Damascus by the name of Ananias. The Master spoke to him in a vision: "Ananias."

"Yes, Master?" he answered.

11 -12 "Get up and go over to Straight Avenue. Ask at the house of Judas for a man from Tarsus. His name is Saul. He's there praying. He has just had a dream in which he saw a man named Ananias enter the house and lay hands on him so he could see again."

13 -14 Ananias protested, "Master, you can't be serious. Everybody's talking about this man and the terrible things he's been doing, his reign of terror against your people in Jerusalem! And now he's shown up here with papers from the Chief Priest that give him license to do the same to us."

15 -16 But the Master said, "Don't argue. Go! I have picked him as my personal representative to non-Jews and kings and Jews. And now I'm about to show him what he's in for—the hard suffering that goes with this job."

17 -19 So Ananias went and found the house, placed his hands on blind Saul, and said, "Brother Saul, the Master sent me, the same Jesus you saw on your way here. He sent me so you could see again and be filled with the Holy Spirit." No sooner were the words out of his mouth than something like scales fell from Saul's eyes—he could see again! He got to his feet, was baptized, and sat down with them to a hearty meal. MSG

I submit there is no fundamental difference in you and Saul. When the Master needs to get a job done, He simply picks the right man. If you haven't been picked yet, keep living.

Syl

• Dark Side
    Dark Side

I submit there is no fundamental difference in you and Saul. When the Master needs to get a job done, He simply picks the right man. If you haven't been picked yet, keep living.

Syl

I'm well beyond waiting to be anyone's choice, much less the choice of some kind of "Master"

Thanks for the input

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

David prayed about his heart ...anyone can pray for more faith...I think there will be no question that you are unique and special in God's eyes Dark Side.

Loz x

• snowbird
    snowbird

I'm well beyond waiting to be anyone's choice, much less the choice of some kind of "Master"

I'll bet Saul/Paul felt the same, but was he in for a surprise! The Master is Jesus of Nazareth; don't worry, He doesn't bite, scratch, or pull covers.

Thanks for the input

To be sure.

Syl

Thanks for the input

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit