You will no longer be disfellowshipped for associating with a disfellowshipped person.

by shepherd 40 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• shepherd
    shepherd

@Mythbuster it depends. First, he could say the son, 'who is basically disassociated' has not actually been officially announced as disassociated, if that was the case. That is a convenient technicality even if it still goes against the principle of it all.

Personally I think shunning is evil, and if someone goes against it, good for them, though I can see the injustice if one can do it and 'get away wth it' and not another.

• agonus
    agonus

Just how do they define "spiritual association"?

• agonus
    agonus

And does this apply to DAs as well?

• Ding
    Ding

How will JWs know about this change?

The book is supposed to be secret.

BTW, does this mean they will reinstate Ray Franz posthumously? (Rhetorical question)

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

The old book says the same thing.

• blondie
    blondie
    If members of the congregation are known to
    have undue association with disfellowshipped
    or disassociated relatives who are not in the
    household,...
    He would not be dealt with judicially
    unless there is persistent spiritual association or
    he openly criticizes the disfellowshipping decision.
    "

This is the same idea in the old one.

Normally, a close relative would not be disfellowshipped

for associating with a disfellowshipped person unless there

is spiritual association or an effort made to justify or

excuse the wrongful course.

http://www.bible.cfmin.com/PAYATTENTION.pdf

• CuriousButterfly
    CuriousButterfly
    My wife associates regularly with her disfellowshiped mother. I asume that this would apply to her...?

Yup!

This is always interesting since we have a close family member who is DF'd. We do not hang out daily but around 5-6 times a year we get together. We fly under the radar knowing this may cause a problem.

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

This is sickening.

The information isn't shared with the flock most likely because they would use this loophole.

A family in my congregation was attacked relentlessly by a local needs/marking talk because of their association with a disfellowshipped child with the threat of disfellowshipping if it continued.

Are there notes written in the margin or a BOE letter to nullify this statement?

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thank you, Shepherd, for this information.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but Peter Gregerson was, as I understand it, among the first to disassociate himself for reasons of conscience. The Society did an ex post facto maneuver to get Ray Franz disfellowshiped. At the time they took a meal together, there was nothing on the books regarding being in the company of a disassociated person. Interestingly, Ray's wife was present.

There's more you can read on the subject.

CoCo

• Gayle
    Gayle

"spiritual association"?

All talk of God, Bible, religion to be avoided at all costs policy. Fair enough. Smart actually. Many non-JWs have this policy within their familes long established. Many families have this policy, no talking or arguing about religion or politics. JWs are just very, very slow in evolving to such wisdoms.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit