I'm an ABSENTHEIST. Are you also?

by EdenOne 284 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• defender of truth
    defender of truth
    I attack bad ideas, unlike you I don't attack people.

I couldn't agree more, Cofty. ^^^ *liked*

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

(back from a terribly dry beijing duck. blahhrgh)

Cofty: I attack bad ideas, unlike you I don't attack people. If I am going to criticise somebody's character I do it by PM as you well know.

Is that so? Let's see if it holds truth. The first ad hominem came from you.

You lied about Aten.

Then

You are impervious to reason,logic and sensible use of language.
    Your dishonesty is becoming intolerable

All the above came from you before I had my burst of rage against you. This makes you, objectively, the liar here. You attack ideas, but also the people who hold them. You deserve no compassion. And, by the way, you also lied when you PM'd me to inform me that I just had been inducted to your ignore list. Apparently that was another lie ... or did you simply change your mind? What's good for the goose....

Eden

• defender of truth
    defender of truth
    Edenone, do you have a belief in any kind of God, present or not present, right now at this moment?
  • EdenOne
    EdenOne

Viviane:

assigning spirit power to a real thing no more makes that thing a god than does painting orange and black stripes on a poodle make it a tiger.

I agree with you. I was playing the devil's advocate here. But fact is, millions of people assign spirit power to objects, animals, other people. To them, that deity is real.

Eden

• Jonathan Drake
    Jonathan Drake

Is that so? Let's see if it holds truth. The first ad hominem came from you.

You lied about Aten.

Then

Im only chiming in again so it's not one persons word against another.

None of these quotes you've chosen are insulting. They are observations and conclusions based on your words and posts.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    I agree with you. I was playing the devil's advocate here. But fact is, millions of people assign spirit power to objects, animals, other people. To them, that deity is real.

So what? It's NOT real and I fail to see how that in any way helps your case of absentheism.

• cofty
    cofty
    You lied about Aten.

You did.

You are

It is.

You deserve no compassion.

I don't want any.

Apparently that was another lie

I'm trying to ignore you but you keep attacking me behind my back. Stop it.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

defender of truth

Not really. Although I still find a few things that I think hint at some kind of ultimate higher power, whatever that may be. That's why I don't want to make absolute claims about the existence or in existence of a deity or deities. I simply don't know the answer, but, thinking about my own situation, all I know is that the God that I expected to exist is nowhere to be found by ME. He's not present. He's absent. Maybe he has always been. Possibly. But I can't be 100% sure of that.
    A friend of mine believes that "God" is a collective sum of all the minds in the universe. I can't conceptualize that, but there you go - that's a different kind of deity that I don't know if it's even a possibility.
    Eden
  • defender of truth
    defender of truth

Edenone, do you have a belief in any kind of God, present or not present, right now at this moment?

Not really. Although I still find a few things that I think hint at some kind of ultimate higher power, whatever that may be. That's why I don't want to make absolute claims about the existence or in existence of a deity or deities.

You don't hold a belief in the existence of a God, but you are not confident enough to declare it extremely unlikely or impossible,so you are an agnostic atheist. Congratulations. Can we all move on and stop fighting now?

"The agnostic atheist, therefore, combines elements of not knowing the existence of God with the unbelief in God." - See more at:

www.allaboutphilosophy.org/agnostic-atheist-faq.htm#sthash.DndsU8BV.dpuf

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Defender of truth, thank you for the reference. You've been very helpful. I believe that the traits of agnostic atheist tick most boxes for me. I still don't think that the etymology of the term "atheist" describes properly the lack of belief in a God, as it suits more the rejection of God. I would much prefer the use of "skeptic", "skepticism", hence agnostic skepticism. But I can concede the current use of the term "atheist" will have to do for now.

Plus, for the sake of closing this thread and ending the bickering, it's a good closing.

**** turns around, whispering: "And yet, he is absent..." *****

grins and whistles on his way out towards the sunset.

Eden

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit