I'm an ABSENTHEIST. Are you also?

by EdenOne 284 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Cofty, God's absence doesn't allow me to make any statements about God. Except that he's absent, which is a verifiable fact.

Eden

• cofty
    cofty
    There are things that evolution for example can't explain and life has not been able to be created by man so I still believe in a creator

That is called the "god-of-the-gaps".

It is an ever-shrinking and fragile god.

Why not just live with "we don't know yet"? Why invent something with no evidence at all to temporarily fill the gap?

Isaac Newton couldn't work out how all the planets moved on the same plane so he inserted god into that gap. Silly man.

• cofty
    cofty
    No, this is not a belief in a God that is absent. It's a belief that the only thing that can be said about God is that God is absent.

Which is exactly the same as no god at all.

Occam's Razor.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Nope, not the same thing. My proposition adheres to reality, yours doesn't - it merely relies on a probability.

Eden

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

ABSENTHEIST.

Thats funny..I like the word..

I`ll remain agnostic though..

• cofty
    cofty
    My proposition adheres to reality, yours doesn't - it merely relies on a probability. - Eden

You begin by asserting...

1. God exists

2. God is absent.

That is a spectacular claim. You have all your work still to do to support proposition 1.

I have no work to do until you define your god.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

My claim is simple: the only thing that can be said about a deity or deities is that their absence is a verifiable fact. By saying this I'm not asserting God's existence and there's no necessity to define said deity or deities. Don't put claims that I'm not making in my mouth.

Eden

• cofty
    cofty
    the only thing that can be said about a deity or deities is that their absence is a verifiable fact - Eden

I'm not asserting God's existence - Eden

In order to be absent "god" MUST exist.

Something that doesn't exist can't be absent.

So which is it?

This is logic 101

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Nonsense. If I say that a boogeyman couldn't be found in my bedroom, am I claiming that the boogeyman exists? Or am I making the simplest, verifiable claim about the boogeyman? But if I'd say "the boogeyman isn't in my bedroom because it doesn't exist", then I have the burden to present evidence that such entity can't be found in any corner of the universe, and in all dimentions known to physics. See my point?

Eden

• cofty
    cofty
    See my point?

No.

Why not just say there is absolutely no evidence for god and leave it at that?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit