DMCA Complaint from The WatchTower for links to KS-10 'Shepherding' book

by Simon 217 Replies latest forum announcements

• djeggnog
    djeggnog

@shepherd:

I know the WTBS can be scary....

To whom? The folks associated with the WTS are Jehovah's Witnesses, even as I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses. I only fear Jehovah and my fear is a godly fear, not some "scary" morbid one. There are many Jehovah's Witnesses that lack maturity. You should go find one of these immature ones that might be enamored by your wisdom. Please relate to them whatever nonsense you wish.

Again, my concern is only for this website's not being hit with a federal injunction for the inclusion of links in their posts to websites hosting the new textbook, and not because I think anyone at the WTS is or can be scary, but because I believe no one has the right to be providing to anyone online access to the new textbook, either by hosting the copyright protected work so that people might download it or by including hyperlinks in their posts on this website to the file being hosted on someone else's website, which might constitute contributory infringement of the copyrightholders work.

In the end the case was settled between both parties.... The judge did not rule as to whether posting links were illegal.

It is totally beside the point that no legal precedent has yet been set. My reading of the litigation in Intellectual Reserve, Inc. v. Utah Lighthouse Ministry, Inc., indicates to me that this judge was about to set a precedent that would have impacted copyright law both here in the US and abroad. I provided the excerpts to the Utah case without comment just to let the reader of them understand the seriousness of the inclusion of links to copyrighted material in their posts after they have been "put on notice" that using the link to download such material could make them criminally culpable.

This case also had the complication that the group admitted earlier posting the handbook [online], which is illegal.

Irrelevant. I have here only been referring to links to the new textbook that some here have included in their posts, for @Simon has not and is not hosting this textbook on this website. Please stay on point.

@djeggnog

• shepherd
    shepherd

You do know this website is likely to contain 'nonsense' that goes contrary to the governing body, right? All are welcome, and in time I sincerely hope the comments at this site will help you in your personal spiritual quest.

You edited your post and wrote "My reading of the litigation"...As you say, that is your opinion, and nothing more, nothing less. The case was settled without a judgement and that's that. It was pertinent to the case that the group had earlier admitted to posting the handbook and they tried to use the links argument to circumvent the earlier injunction. You sound as if you are a lawyer - if you are, you should know better than to use a case that was left without a judgement either way to support your argument. Perhaps you do so because there is no case that sets precedent. If you are not a lawyer, say so openly so that people can know you are just expressing your personal unqualified opinion.

I was discussing the legal aspects, for which I am qualified. You can call that worldly 'wisdom' if you wish, and I will say no more on the subject.

• djeggnog
    djeggnog

@shepherd:

You do know this website is likely to contain 'nonsense' that goes contrary to the governing body, right? All are welcome, and in time I sincerely hope the comments at this site will help you in your personal spiritual quest.

I've not been, nor am I, on any "personal spiritual quest." (I have no idea from where that idea of yours came.) The "nonsense" to which I have here been referring was provided by you.

@djeggnog wrote:

There are many Jehovah's Witnesses that lack maturity. You should go find one of these immature ones that might be enamored by your wisdom. Please relate to them whatever nonsense you wish.

@shepherd wrote:

I was discussing the legal aspects, for which I am qualified. You can call that 'worldly wisdom' if you wish, and I will say no more on the subject.

I notice you paraphrased my words by adding "worldly" for some reason, but please take a very close look at my words as quoted above. Notice that I said nothing at all about "worldly wisdom," did I? Perhaps it would be best that you say nothing more to me on any subject. I'd rather you talk about me, rather than to me. (For all I know, you're an expert at gossip.) Anyway, I'm going to hold you to this last statement you make here.

@djeggnog

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

EggNogg; you are not a Jehovah's Witness neither are you a Witness of jehovah , you are a member of the WTS.

• carvin
    carvin

Since all elders , MS, CO, DO, etc are apointed by Holy Spirit then the Holy Spirit should have known what was in the heart of all those leaders leaking the book to the public. So we must conclude that Jah wanted the book leaked out.

I heard it said that to control the future you must control the past. In the past the WT was pritty good at controling their past, but not anymore. They cant even seem to control their present.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

They are not upset because the information is "copyrighted" djeggnog. They are upset because their secrets have gotten out. Have YOU read the new book? It's a disgusting distortion of the Bible and Christianity in general. There is no "shepherding". It is all about who to punish, how to punish them, and what to punish them for.

If you never saw the similarities between the Pharisees and the WTS before, you would after reading this disgusting book. But of course, you love your counterfeit gospel, don't you?

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

dan

Play nice

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

I tend to end my emotional comments with an insult, don't I? I guess I should work on that. djeggnog and debator just get under my skin.

• Momma-Tossed-Me
    Momma-Tossed-Me

I tend to agree with Dan. When the borg is pulling the very fabric of your being apart, i.e. your family, without taking into consideration that you are a good provider, good spouse, and a great father you tend to be a little defensive.

J

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I totally agree. But lashing out doesn't help. Sometimes we just need to step away from the computer for a while.

This whole thread is getting a little heated and perhaps a few of us need to step back for a bit before we hit that SUBMIT bitton

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit