Menlo Park Kingdom Hall - Part Deux

by Juan Viejo2 17 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• flipper
    flipper

JUAN- I'm glad you & others are standing up for what is right and giving information disclosure to everybody on this. I have thought that if enough of these types of scandals start popping up with the WT society being charged with extortion & fraud - it may just start the beginning of the end for the WT society as time goes by. Good job buddy. Keep up the good work ! You have my support and that of others here on the board

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

I think more of these sorts of situations are out there, it's just that the local BOE either 1) figures its not worth it and caves or 2) the CO gets them removed on some trumped up charges and changes the dynamics of the BOE to tilt in his favor. I've seen it first hand, although not necessarily over KH projects. I know that the RBC (with the COs blessings and encouragement) can be quite heavy handed in "suggesting" inprovements, upgrades or new builds.

To see a couple of loyal, long term elders who had no beef with the WTS get to the point of actually suing their "brothers" is significant in my mind. I have no doubt that these guys will be df'ed for this, it's just a matter of time. But, I wonder how the local congo will view that action.

This is the major problem with the WTS. They feel they can do whatever they want to whoever they want and noone will stand up to them. Hell, they're speaking for God. It's this mentality that is counter-productive and will bite them in the butt.

• Scott77
    Scott77

Hi John Hoyle,

Iam wondering, why not contact JWs in Texas for some idea on how to find a pro bona attorney for Menlo Park lawsuit? I would not be surprised that there is a possible kinship and comradeship between those JWs who won back their properties and that one in Menlo Park. Also, American Civil Liberties Union can help out. Some non profit legal organisations in CA might be interested to take up this case. Here is their address. 39 Drumm Street, San Francisco - (415) 621-2488

Good luck

Scott77

• mamalove
    mamalove

Any update on this?

• Juan Viejo2
    Juan Viejo2

mamalove - watch for an announcement in the next few days.

Scott77 - I contacted both the ACLU and the Americans for Separation of Church and State. While they sympathized with the situation in Menlo Park, they explained that their focus is directed to cases where a government entity olr elected official is involved in either promoting or publicly supporting religious ideals or teachings. They do not involve themselves in cases where there is a disagreement between churches and their members. My contact at the ACLU simply told me that they should pursue the case in the civil courts and then find themselves another religion. "Why would anyone want to belong to a church that treated its own members so poorly?" was one comment.

I've been unsuccessful in contacting anyone directly involved in the Bonham, Tx case, but I did hear from an anonymous someone relatively close to the situation. His summation was that the brothers who fought the WT over the old Kingdom Hall "won the battle, but lost the war." Very few of them remain JWs and the rest ended up going to the new KH and asked for reinstatement. Again, I have no way to confirm any of that information, but I have heard similar stories in the past. Maybe Randy Watters or some of the other posters might have better and later information they can share.

The local brothers in Menlo Park who are the plaintiffs do not really want to get too much publicity about this case, so have not gone to the newspapers themselves. I was contacted by a local newspaper reporter about the case, but I've only shared those facts that are clearly public and available in court documents. My contacts continue to remain anonymous, even to me, and give me only sketchy information. Some of my contacts claim not to be JWs themselves, but only friends or distant relatives to the principal players. I have been told that the principals will not talk to me because I am an "apostate," which might complicate their situation with the Society's rules. It certainly complicates my involvement in the case because that makes everything I am getting "hearsay" or unconfirmed by any of the primary players.

The whole case, while interesting and rife with possibilities, has become very difficult to work with and frustrating. Some of the members of the local congregations have contacted me (again anonymously) and seem to be equally divided in their support for the plaintiffs. I think most of them really support the brothers personally, but are afraid to take a stand publicly for fear of being DF'd or otherwise punished themselves. While most agree that the CO, DO and others were totally out of line in their actions, being "too rough and pushy" and "drunk with their own power," they still feel that they did have the support of the Watchtower headquarters and therefore have the authority to do as they felt was necessary.

Last I heard, the plaintiffs are in line to be DFd, but I have not been able to verify that, nor do I know their current status. Apparently they are not attending any of the local Kingdom Halls because of fear of creating a scene. They apparently want to go (who knows why?), but don't want to expose themselves to possible abuse or threat of arrest.

Devil_Fish - are you out there? Check your PMs.

JV

• Juan Viejo2
    Juan Viejo2

I really need a favor from anyone on this group.

If you have a clean copy of the PDF version of the new "Flock" book - or a valid link to a verifiable online link, please PM me ASAP.

I will not reveal your email or anything else about you as the source. It is important that I get a copy for an independent (non-JW connected) researcher.

I have a copy, but can not access it from my laptop and I am 600 miles from home.

I rarely ask a favor (except to reprint a quality posting on my website), but this is really critical.

BTW - I love you guys!!!

JV

• Juan Viejo2
    Juan Viejo2

Thanks for the help. I received the links I needed and have forwarded to the researcher.

• koolaid-man
    koolaid-man

Link to Six Screens conference call concerning Menlo Park.... http://www.sixscreensofthewatchtower.com/conferencecall-9-25-10.html

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit