wondering whether to learn koine greek next

by quietlyleaving 15 Replies latest jw friends

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

did my exam in attic greek today and found it surprisingly comfortable and am glad I braved it. Results in december.

THis course has given me so much confidence and pleasure and I'm now wondering about learning koine greek too. Although I personally know the truth about the truth I do want to be able to help my family in the future if ever they come to a crises point regarding their faith and if ever they come to see that the WTS has mislead them. I'd like to be able to give them options about what needn't be discarded.

But on the other hand learning koine greek wil be a lot of work and I want to continue in classical studies for a little longer - another 18 month at least.

However at this point I think koine greek will be easy to learn.

suggestions would be welcome

• snowbird
    snowbird

I say, go for it!

Wasn't the New Testament written in koine' Greek?

Syl

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

thank you snowbird. yes the new testament was written in koine greek.

It is such a wasteland when one learns how much one has been lied to. I'd hate for my loved ones to go through that

• snowbird
    snowbird

I hope I'll be around to soften the blow when my little JW college daughter finds out the level of deception in WT land.

Syl

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

how would you soften the blow though? this is my dilemma. can it be softened. JWD/JWN tells me there is no easy way

• snowbird
    snowbird

She knows a little how I feel about WT - I'm not DA'd or DF'd - yet continues to show respect to me and concern for my well-being.

Out of similar respect for her, I haven't given her the full monty.

I have a feeling she's already tiring of the hamster wheel.

She's no fool.

Syl

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Go for it! Did you focus on any particular author for your studies? We focused mainly on an epitome of Palaephatus, which had amusing content and which was written in simple Attic Greek. Good for a beginner. The second year moved on to Koine, with the gospel of Mark being the main focus. Have you thought of taking Latin too? I took it at the same time and our class focused on Ovid.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Have you thought of taking Latin too? I took it at the same time and our class focused on Ovid.

Leolaia!!!

Please see:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/social/entertainment/196244/1/Anyone-Familiar-With-the-Roman-Poet-Ovid

Thanks.

Syl

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

She knows a little how I feel about WT - I'm not DA'd or DF'd - yet continues to show respect to me and concern for my well-being.

Out of similar respect for her, I haven't given her the full monty.

I have a feeling she's already tiring of the hamster wheel.

She's no fool.

Syl

@ syl

Hi Leo

we used the JACT grammar and language books which to begin with uses synthetic sentence structure along with original vocabulary from Aristophanes, Herodotus, Euripides and Demosthenes. The synthetic greek sentence structure is gradually phased out and more original greek is introducted.

I might try Latin next year.

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

Since the society does not endorse it, (whatever THAT means) then it must be useful and beneficial and worth doing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit