ART! What the hell is it?????

by Terry 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Terry
    Terry

ART!
    What the hell is it?
    I can't tell you what it IS, but, I can tell you what I think it does.
    Art changes you.
    It stops you cold in your tracks.
    When you finally walk away from it you keep on thinking about it.
    You can't shrug it off easily.
    It's now a different world for you.

Great ART bestows an impact on your consciousness. It penetrates down to your core values and the motor of emotion itself.
    We keep those things in our vault, but, ART knows the combination and violates the "given".
    We must reassess, recalibrate and rethink.

That's great ART.
    It is also rare.
    Mostly we have art with no capitals.
    We have a point of view.....or a technique....or an idea dressed in Sunday best and a spit shine.

Or....

We have something else. A movie perhaps.
    Not that a movie can't be art.
    A politician can tell the truth......sometimes......inadvertently. A movie is like politics. It craves popularity and has an easy way with manipulation. Movies seem important and they want your money while promising to DO something for you.

But, movies and politicians aren't reality...they are storytelling and the framing of things a....certain way.
    Make you feel good or infuriate you or stir things up so that you want to tell others.

Once in a moon (the blue kind) you have a movie that is ART. I've seen a few.
    Nobody knows how to make one. Not on purpose.
    They just happen. The virgin conceives and a child is born.
    Call it a miracle if you like.

We know it when it happens to us. But, everything else is just popcorn.

A great face splashed on a silver screen...
    a compelling story well told...
    music that wells up inside your soul and lifts you off your planet...
    and that afterglow....that tickle of original feeling that lingers....and revisits in the nightime....maybe your whole life long.

Like I said; everything else is popcorn and politician promises.

• myelaine
    myelaine

...crazy man...

(exodus 32:34-35)

love michelle

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

I'll give this some thought, Terry. Yes... perhaps true capital "A" art SHOULD change lives... or at least show us something we had never even thought of seeing before.

Okay... in that case, perhaps this thread was art... it has left me thinking... and there is a possibility that it will change my life. I might get back to you on that.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Art is a harmonization between colors, light, patterns, shapes, vibrations. It ellicites a response from the spirit, heart or mind.

S

• compound complex
    compound complex

Hello Terry,

My mother gave me art, music, books. My father provided the love and support necessary to immerse myself in them. I am consumed all day, every day, by art and rendered breathless by the aural and visual and literary beauty that surrounds us all.

Art has been and ever will be my life.

CoCo

PS: Is that a Larson-Juhl frame?

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime

Trying to explain art to someone who doesn't understand it is like trying to explain the color 'blue' to a blind man. Listening to someone explain it as "movies, popcorn, politics, and virgin birth" is pretty much...

Art and art appreciation are a function of the right-brain. There is no progressive one-step-at-a-time logic in the way we are accustomed from the left brain. Tell your left brain to shut the f* up and see art for what it is. We each have to find our own taste for art - beyond that I see little value in over-analyzing it.

One second you're contemplating if a movie can be art - the next sentence it's... politics. I'd say you failed to establish the relevant connection there.

- Lime

• Curtains
    Curtains

Hi terry - I agree. Another way of putting it is to say that some art has soul

• designs
    designs

People replicating what they have seen or imagined in 2 and 3 dimensions...................

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Art is the lie that reveals the truth

• journey-on
    journey-on

I pretty much agree, Terry.

Another thought...I had seen lots of pictures of the Mona Lisa in art mags, text books, posters, etc., but when I stood face to face with her at the Louvre in Paris, I was blown away (even though she was behind thick sheets of glass). Even now, I speak of the painting as if "she" is alive. Real ART is timeless.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit