Atheist Richard Dawkins aids Haiti

by purplesofa 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

Why are his non-beliefs important?

Richard Dawkins is a mixed bag, like everyone else. He has his points and he has his quirks - like his cringeworthy (as Christopher Hitchens terms it) suggestion that atheists should relabel themselves "Brights" to improve their public image, much like homosexuals relabelled themselves "Gay" for the same reason. He gets precipitously close to being an apologist for pedophiles at times, saying they are very bad, but not that bad relative to others who are worse (he tells a story of a little girl who was molested by a priest around the same time she was told that sinners roast in Hell and who, as a woman, describes the molestation as merely "yucky" but the hellfire image as truly horrifying and scarring to her psyche.) That said, I like the guy's mind.

Regardless, he does have a bee up his ass about religion, pretty much despises it, and that is the reason he is keen to demonstrate that non-believers like him can be altruistic.

• xchange
    xchange

Well xchange if you did say ya loved me,that would make me a couger since I am 83+
    I dont know if your male or female ,but I love everyone ,even my enemies ,but you dont sound
    like one of them

@funnyface

Hmm....cougar. Oh hell, why not. (I'm male btw)

Enemies? Nah, even the enemies that I do have don't know that they consider me an enemy in the first place.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Lots of atheist have already helped the people of Haiti and other parts, when they give to Red Cross or Salvation army or any of the numerous groups that help through out the world, when they volunteer in their community and when they are part of programs like Doctors without borders or Habitat for humanity.

But they never worte any books or get on a high horse so I guess they don't count?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit