Looking for info on B-Day new light....

by Tatiana 9 Replies latest jw friends

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

Does anyone have any information on the Birthday "new light?"
    I think I remember seeing a thread about it, but I can't find it. I need it to send to my niece,(yes, I'm STILL trying) and I wonder if anyone can point me to the thread or site where this info might be.

Thanks.....

April
    I was angry with my friend; I told my wrath, my wrath did end. I was angry with my foe; I told it not, my wrath did grow. (William Blake, A Poison Tree)
    http://www.network54.com/Forum/171905

• openminded
    openminded

Wow that would be cool. The JW ban on birthdays is a serious crock of shit. It would be really cool if my six year old could have a party with his mother in attendence.

• freeman
    freeman

My bible says Job was a righteous man and that all his kids had Birthday parties. But of course, this is a Tyndale Bible I am reading, translated by worldly scholars, not the NWT translated by???

Freeman

• jeffory
    jeffory

Tatinia,

The "new light" consisted of a Questions from Readers a couple of years back. The article pointed out that those who did celebrate were spirituall weak.
    Basically this was "code talk" to the elders that Judicial comittees were not going to be convened for those who celebrated since they were spiritually weak. Remember only those who are wicked as opposed to weak will be D F'ed.
    jeffory

• nytelecom1
    nytelecom1
    The article pointed out that those who did celebrate were spirituall weak.

good enough for me......happy bday to me ..today!!!!

• Valis
    Valis

From the JW website.

4. Birthdays: The only two birthday celebrations spoken of in the Bible were held by persons who did not worship Jehovah. (Genesis 40:20-22; Mark 6:21, 22, 24-27) The early Christians did not celebrate birthdays. The custom of celebrating birthdays comes from ancient false religions. True Christians give gifts and have good times together at other times during the year.

Could someone please tell me when those "other times" are? Or when they were supposed to be?

• Mulan
    Mulan

So, if an elder and his family celebrate a birthday, they will convene a committee? What a crock!!

BTW, our family always recognized birthdays. We didn't have parties, but we certainly talked about it, and sent cards. But we were only dubs for 50 years too. New guys, eh??

"No one can take advantage of you, without your permission." Ann Landers

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Valis:

True Christians give gifts and have good times together at other times during the year.

Could someone please tell me when those "other times" are? Or when they were supposed to be?

You know! Other times. Remember those good times in field service? Remember having too many magazines? "Hey, would anyone like another set of WT and Awake mags?" Instant gift sets! Those times!

Expatbrit

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

Thank you all, guys. I could have sworn I read a thread here with some new information about birthdays being a conscience matter now. I've looked, but can't seem to find it, or maybe I'm losing it. No, maybe it was a dream??!!LOL

April
    I was angry with my friend; I told my wrath, my wrath did end. I was angry with my foe; I told it not, my wrath did grow. (William Blake, A Poison Tree)
    http://www.network54.com/Forum/171905

• Beans
    Beans

Valis: When are those other days? well here is a good one,as a young boy growing up in the house of a Presiding overseer I wondered if we could have a day when we exchanged gifts? After some thought my father decided that it would be ok and we would do it some time in the spring usually. Now this day came to be known as PRESENT DAY!!!
    Now the funny thing now is my sister who has introduced this concept to her inlaws and now PRESENT DAY is enjoyed and is a big event one week after Christmas with a Turkey and gift which have been purchased at boxing day prices!! Pretty smart aren`t they?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit