How do you put a gag on feelings of fear when living outside the "truth"?

by bottleofwater 24 Replies latest jw experiences

• Coffee House Girl
    Coffee House Girl

I feel much like Troubled Mind, much more peace of mind outside of the "truth".

Now I find that I have to fight my gag reflex whenever I see a Watchtower cover lying around my mom's house- looking at that rag discusts me .

CHG

• Ding
    Ding

As hard as it is to get out of the Watchtower, it's often much harder to get the Watchtower out of you.

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

As hard as it is to get out of the Watchtower, it's often much harder to get the Watchtower out of you.

Harder still to exorcise residual, irrational beliefs that you still hold dear. Screw up your courage and challenge them. All of them.

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

Feelings are responders They repond to your thoughts. One thought that helped me early in the piece was that If Jehovah is going to destroy billions of people because they have not read a WT then he is a bastard and not worth knowing. That if the GB's threat was true "obey us or Jehovah will kill you" then I would prefer to die with those that are so unjustly condemned for such a pathetic reason

"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." Richard Dawkins

• flipper
    flipper

BOTTLEOFWATER- Like many of us who exited the witnesses- you need to understand what is CAUSING you to still have the fear . Like one poster mentioned : Steve Hassan's books REALLY helped me to lose any fear or guilt I once had being a Jehovah's Witness. His first book " Combatting Cult Mind Control " is great and the followup titled " Releasing the Bonds - Empowering People to Think for Themselves " are BOTH must reads in my opinion for witnesses exiting the JW cult. It educates a person HOW to put a gag on feelings of fear. Read some of this stuff ! I know it will help you ! ( Also read Ray Franz's books " Crisis of Conscience" & " In Search of Christian Freedom " - those books will just confirm in your mind that you made the right choice leaving the witnesses. Good luck ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit