Are you interested in Bible Congruence?

by sabastious 130 Replies latest watchtower bible

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Yes! Yes! Yes!

Christ means saviour.

So "the message" of the Bible is salvation?

-Sab

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

Conflicts in principle turned me off.

How do you rationalize God is love vs. God being responsible for genocide, rape, slavery, and the slaughtering of innocent children?

How do you rationalize God is humble vs. YOU MUST LOVE YOUR GOD and THERE MUST BE NO OTHER GODS and the demand for constant praise and adoration from puny humans?

How do you rationalize God is like a father vs. those of us who are fathers who know would never demand that our sons and daughters love us MORE than their own offspring (whenever that happens)?

Why is it that things that are CLEARLY immoral to us today are whitewashed in the bible because God did it?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnyl05_LpTU

• sabastious
    sabastious

SBC, you make some hard points.

-Sab

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

I have proven it to myself. I know that we can get into the way the canon was chosen and what was considered scripture by some and not others...But here is my faith:

I believe God is in control of His Word. I don't believe that He would allow men to change what He wants us to know. Every seeming contradiction can be answered in a reasonable way (at least the ones that I have researched).

Why would God let his Word change? Why would He allow us to have His Word knowing that there are pieces that are untrue and NOT from Him?

I know that many don't agree with me on this. But I have STRONG faith in this. God is in total control.

• agonus
    agonus

Which "Word" though? Protestant 66-book canon? Catholic one with Apocrypha? Ethiopic with the Book of Enoch? Nag Hammadi? Didache? Protovangelion of... you get my point.

• sabastious
    sabastious

brodan,

What is your line of thinking on these two verses:

Isaiah 40:22 - 22 He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth,
    and its people are like grasshoppers.
    He stretches out the heavens like a canopy,
    and spreads them out like a tent to live in.

^ Circle as in a coin, being flat. NOT a sphere. God's word doesn't know that the earth is spherical.

Josha 10:13 - 13 So the sun stood still,
    and the moon stopped,
    till the nation avenged itself on [ a ] its enemies,
    as it is written in the Book of Jashar.
    The sun stopped in the middle of the sky and delayed going down about a full day.

^ The sun does not move, the earth does. God's word doesn't know the basic physics of the universe.

-Sab

• agonus
    agonus

Actually "Christ" means "anointed"... which quite literally means "painted (or smeared) with oil."

So if the message of the Bible is "Christ" then it's probably all about either Jesus the Nazarene... or perhaps Bob Ross.

Either works for me.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    Christ means saviour.
    So "the message" of the Bible is salvation?
    -Sab

Christ means "anointed One," who is the Savior.

Yes, salvation from ourselves and the Evil One.

Tee hee hee.

Syl

• agonus
    agonus

Sometimes The Evil One and ourselves are one and the same.

Also anointing comes from within as well as without.

Just don't want to see anyone oil-paint themselves into a corner.

Remember, we don't make mistakes. We have happy accidents.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

The original Hebrew does not distinguish between a one-dimensional circle and a three-dimensional sphere-
    their word chuwg could refer to both.

Regardless, neither of the above verses in Isaiah refer to a literal description of the earth. The context of Isaiah
    40 is obviously poetic as it refers to people as grasshoppers!

The circle of Isa 40:22 refers to the spherical atmosphere around the earth, not a flat earth. If God “sitteth” on the surface of pancake shaped earth, the “the inhabitants thereof” wouldn’t look like “grasshoppers” (see Isa 40:22). The “circle” of Isa 40:22 obviously refers to a vantage point, high above the earth as we find in Job 22:14 (which also uses the word “chuwg”), see too Isa 14:14 and Psalm 68:4. Since Bible rejecters can’t find a scientific error in the Bible as it stands in English, they switch to the Hebrew. Of course the Hebrew language possesses no distinct word for a sphere, as Bible rejecters would have us believe, it uses 2D terms for all “round” shapes (see Isa 3:18). Besides, the words “sphere” and “ball” do not mean the same thing, one is a SHAPE the other is an OBJECT that people play with, and the term “ball” doesn’t always imply a perfectly round spherical object (like the earth) in any language, just THINK about it. The Hebrew word “chuwg” is the only word that could have possibly been used by Isaiah to accurately describe the SHAPE of the atmosphere or the earth.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit