Were you ever embarrassed or somewhat ashamed when the WT patted themselves on the back in their own articles?

by miseryloveselders 33 Replies latest jw friends

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

I was browsing through the December 2010 Awake, and noticed an article on the earthquake that happened in Haiti earlier this year. It didn't take long for the article to disturb me. The third paragraph initiated the sanctimonious tone that is present througout the article. I typed it below.

In the city of Jacmel, Ralphendy, 11 year of age, lay trapped under a partially collapsed building. For hours, a city rescue team worked feverishly to release him. Repeated aftershcoks forced them to abandon their efforts because of fear that the fractured upper floors would crash down on them. Philippe, a missionary of Jehovah's Witnesses, refused to give up, explaining, "I could not bear to leave Ralphendy there to die." Philippe and three others squeezed through a narrow space under the broekn building and inched their way forward to where Ralphendy lay, his feet held fast by fallen debris. From midnight on, theycautiously chipped away. With every tremor, they heard the concrete overhead shift and crack. At5:00am, more than 12 hours after the quake, they pulled Ralphendy out to safety.

Here's another paragraph that I found to be irritating on page 15.

It had been 150 years since Haiti's last great quake. Haiti had therefore largely left off constructing buildings that resisted earthquakes in favor of those that protected the population from hurricanes and floods. Hence most of the block walls and heavy concrete roofs were no match for the magnitude 7.0 tremor. However the Haiti office of Jehovah's Witnesses, completed in 1987, was designed in accord with accepted seismic construction standards. Although located near the eastern edge of Port-au-Prince, it suffered virtually no damage.

Here's another beauty from the following page.

When the quake struck, seven year old Islande looked out of her home and saw power lines snapping and showers of sparks. Inside, the walls buckled and blocks cascaded down, breaking her leg and seriously injuring her. After she was lifted from the debris, her father, Johnny, drove Islande just across the Dominican border to a hospital. She was airlifted to a hospital in the country's capital, Santo Domingo. But when Johnny later called the hospital, Islande was not there.

For two days Johnny searched everywhere for Islande, without result. She had been taken to a different hsopital, where a hospital volunteer heard her praying to Jehovah. "Do you love Jehovah?" the volunteer asked. "Yes," Islande replied through her tears. "Then don't worry," the volunteer assured her. "Jehovah will help you." Johnny asked the Dominiccan Republic office of Jehovah's Witnesses for help in finding Islande. A Witness named Melanie offered to search for her. As Melanie inquired at one hospital, the volunteer who had heard Islande praying overheard the conversation and pointed the little girl out. Soon, Islande was reunited with her family.

One last paragraph I wanted to mention.

One Haitian customs official, while approving the importation of the construction materials, commented: "Jehovah's Witnesses were among the first ones who came across the border to get help for people. They don't just talk aboiut helping, they really do it." In the first few months following the quake, 1500 homes had already been built by the Witnesses for those who had lost theirs.

Articles like this have always irritated me. Throughout the article there's a sanctimonious tone that neglects the efforts that people throughout the entire globe contributed assistance when this tragedy occured. There's a couple brief mentions of other relief efforts, but this article's MO was to highlight how wonderful the Witnesses are. What I'm wondering is, was the article a reaction to people thinking JWs isolate themselves from the rest of mankind? Was this article an oppurtunistic attempt by the WT to make itself lappear better than all the other individuals and organizations that helped with relief efforts in Haiti?

When I do the right thing by people, I don't do it because I want it advertised. I do it because its the right thing to do. I'm not looking to "provide a witness" when I return a lost sum of money. How many articles have we had like that where the JW returns the lost money, and then states their reason for returning the money as, "Well I'm one of Jehovah's Witnesses." I have to ask the question, when someone who's not a JW does the same thing, what do they say? "I'm an atheist!" "I'm a Catholic!" "I'm a member of NAMBLA!" It irritates me that the WT prints this tripe for the public. An article such as this should have been reserved for the JW only WT, not for the public Awake. When this tragedy happened, a brother at my hall made the announcement that JWs were the first on the scene. He stated, "We did it again! We beat everyone else!" I felt so disgusted hearing him make that comment. At the same time though, it put things in perspective for me. This religion is too much about appearances to the point that it overshadows what genuine love is left in the organization.

Let me ask you, do articles such as this irritate you? Am I not being fair to the WT regarding this article? If I'm being overly critical, please by all means call me out on it. I'm not looking to argue, but I want to make sure I'm being fair.

• Ding
    Ding

You're not alone.

These types of articles are usually accompanied by quotes in the Watchtower or Awake about Christendom's/false religion's/the world's pretended show of concern for others, ignoring all their selfless acts of compassion for people in need.

I wonder how many KHs in Chile sent in volunteers to rescue those miners...

• sspo
    sspo

Always did irritate me, constantly praising themselves for helping a few witnesses and mostly neglecting the rest

contrary to " worldly organization " that are there for anyone no matter what religion they belong.

" Worldly people" give billions of dollars to help out when they see a disaster............when was last time that the watchtower gave a dime

to help those outside the organization.

Jesus and his apostles had money or a purse to help the poor, not just his disciples.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Yes, it's embarrassing and irritating.

I used to wonder how WT could blatantly ignore this plain counsel.

Proverbs 27:2 Don't call attention to yourself;
    let others do that for you. MSG

Hypo-to-the-damn-crites!

Syl

• yknot
    yknot

(1 Corinthians 13:4-7) 4 Love is long-suffering and kind. Love is not jealous, it does not brag, does not get puffed up, 5 does not behave indecently, does not look for its own interests, does not become provoked. It does not keep account of the injury. 6 It does not rejoice over unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth. 7 It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

Comes to my mind.....

• fokyc
    fokyc

It seemed good to start with in 1952; BUT now I just want to throw up.

The mags are bad, but when they do it from the platform; ugh!

• sabastious
    sabastious
    I used to wonder how WT could blatantly ignore this plain counsel.

Syl that's for the rank and file, not the org as a whole!

-Sab

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

Not really. I just assumed that no one else read them.

• ReallyTrulyAthena
    ReallyTrulyAthena

I think you've asked a fair question. And I'm loving the great freedom to be able to "think critically" here as opposed to the "one-mind/don't-ask-questions/cult-speak" we once were part of.

As they have done in the past, I do believe that the WTBTS is savvy to have placed this particular article in an Awake magazine and not WT, particularly since it's the more "public face" of the two magazines. I think they continuing to feel the heat of being in the public eye for the various scandals within, so this is a way for them to combat it. When all else fails, bring in the spinmeisters!

After all these years of being DF'd, I will admit to still finding myself mildly irritated by the pandering commentaries they churn out such as this one. The condescending, puffed-up, strutting-about tone is off-putting.

I concur with your thoughts. I think it's great to help others in need but 1. one doesn't have to make a big deal out of it (actions speak louder than words) and 2. why isn't the WTBTS helping out folks in their own congregations - the sick, the elderly, the struggling? Not saying that when a big catastrophe happens, help shouldn't be extended there as well, but if they don't take care of the "basics" in-house, how can they truly take care of the "big things" out there?

The real answer is they can't, but that won't stop them from trying.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    Syl that's for the rank and file, not the org as a whole!
    -Sab

Oh, yeah. Well, then, this here passage comes to mind.

Matthew 23:2 They talk a good line, but they don't live it. They don't take it into their hearts and live it out in their behavior. It's all spit-and-polish veneer. MSG

Tee hee hee.

Syl

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit