Jesus as Mediator

by Listener 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Listener
    Listener

I was stunned when I read that according to JWs Jesus is not the mediator to all those baptized and this is not available to all mankind although the benefit of his position as mediator is. They believe that only the Annointed with the heavenly hope have Jesus as their mediator.

I cannot understand why they tell all JWs that they must pray through Jesus Christ. If he is not the 'great crowds' mediator then wouldn't it be wrong the pray through Jesus? They clearly say it is wrong to pray through any saint/apostle etc. or anyone else.

The only thing that I can find that justifies the great crowd/other sheep to pray through Jesus is to show respect for this arrangement that he has with the annointed but we do not pray through anyone else simply on the basis that we are showing them respect, it should be because it is a god given demand.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Didn't Jesus teach people how to pray by praying directly to "the father" himself?

Didn't Jesus show people the proper way to pray by the example of the "Lord's prayer"?

Did Jesus say that he was the only one allowed to make this direct contact?

Or did he say that others should follow his example?

Praying "through" someone else seems to be a Catholic invention. I know catholics who pray through their dead ancestors who were real skunks when they were alive. The whole "praying through" someone else comes from very ancient tribal ritual of sacrifice. When crops were bad or there was great troubles, the tribe chose a human sacrifice. This person felt honored to be chosen as a messenger to the gods. It was believed that the only way to get God's attention on these matters was to send an ambassador to tell him about the problems of the tribe. That was the mission of the human sacrifice.

• wobble
    wobble

It won't be long before "Noo Lite" beams on the WT faithful that they are to pray through the Governing Body who have already gone to Heaven.

(24 Elders of Revelation) Poor old J.C can be sidelined a bit more that way.

• Listener
    Listener

It is stated in the bible to ask through Jesus' name.

John 14:6, 13, 14; 16:24 Jesus told the disciples this not long before his death.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Clearly the WT think there is a mistake in this verse

1 Timothy 2:5 (New International Version)

5 For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus

Blessings, Stephen
  • Listener
    Listener

That is a very important scripture and very much establishes the importance of Jesus and that is why I can't understand the way the JWs say it is exclusive to the annointed ones.

They explain it away by saying that this relationship exists with the annointed only but we all can benefit from this arrangement. But whatever explanation they use I still cannot understand why they say this exclusiveness exists but then all must pray through Jesus.

• pirata
    pirata

This scripture just came up in last week's study on the ransom:

1 Timothy 2:5-6 (New International Version)

5 For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, 6 who gave himself as a ransom for all men—the testimony given in its proper time.

It was explained that Jesus is the ransom for all of us. But he is only the Mediator for the Faithful and Discreet Slave. WTF? (The F stands for Flock, not a swear word...)

• Chalam
    Chalam

But he is only the Mediator for the Faithful and Discreet Slave.

The thing is, the verse doesn't say that either!

What is does say however say it that the is ONE Mediator between God and men i.e. mankind.

If you are a person and you want to get to God you need Jesus, not the WT, not Haile Selassie, not Buddah, not Ronald McDonald or anyone else.

Blessings,

Stephen

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

*** w54 10/15 p. 622 Why Prayers Go Unanswered ***
    Now what does it mean to pray in the right manner? First of all it means to approach Jehovah in the name of Christ Jesus, who the Bible says is the "one mediator between God and men." So can one expect an answer to his prayer if he does not ask it in Jesus' name? Said the Son of God himself: "No one comes to the Father except through me." Since Christ is the only mediator, the "one mediator," there can be no more mediators between God and men.

I am so confused

The scripture quoted above clearly states Jesus to be the "one mediator between God and men." ....

then there is the following reference ....

*** w00 11/15 p. 11 par. 8 Christians Find Happiness in Serving ***
    he is also the mediator of a correspondingly better covenant, which has been legally established upon better promises." (Hebrews 8:6) Moses mediated the covenant that was the basis of Israel's relationship with Jehovah. (Exodus 19:4, 5) Jesus mediated a new covenant, which made possible the birth of a new nation, "the Israel of God," composed of spirit-anointed Christians from many nations. (Galatians 6:16; Hebrews 8:8, 13; Revelation 5:9, 10)

... does the Watchtower differentiate these or does the "one mediator between God and men" carry the same application as Hebrews?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29BoqCMRBFk&feature=related
  • Chalam
    Chalam

Now what does it mean to pray in the right manner? First of all it means to approach Jehovah in the name of Christ Jesus, who the Bible says is the "one mediator between God and men." So can one expect an answer to his prayer if he does not ask it in Jesus' name? Said the Son of God himself: "No one comes to the Father except through me." Since Christ is the only mediator, the "one mediator," there can be no more mediators between God and men.

No surprise to see the WT totally contradict itself. I expect they will reaching for the New Lite™ correction fluid pretty soon.

Blessings,

Stephen

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit