This Week's # 2

by FrankWTower 19 Replies latest jw experiences

• yknot
    yknot

Gotta say the progression in the TMS is getting interesting.....

The undercover apostate has sold the WTS leaders in thinking they will educate and reinforce the R&F in this latest progression of TMS but I think they are designed to jolt those in semi-conscious states to 'wake up'!

• undercover
    undercover
    They don't like "sect" or "cult." They don't like "church" and often don't like to be a "religion."

Growing up, I remember that we detested being called a "religion". We weren't a "religion"... Christendom was "religion", we were God's Earthly Organization. We alone had the "truth".

But that was the impression given to the rank and file who parroted it. The leadership used the words "religion", "sect", "denomination" whenever necessary and when beneficial to the corporation.

These days they actually fight to be recognized as a "religion" so they can practice their faith legally in countries (and get tax breaks and apply for grants/funds) where they may not be easily accepted as a real religion.

• yknot
    yknot

For a bit better 'discernment' here is the Reasoning passage:

*** rs p. 202 - p. 203 Jehovah’s Witnesses ***

Are Jehovah’s Witnesses a sect or a cult?

Some define sect to mean a group that has broken away from an established religion. Others apply the term to a group that follows a particular human leader or teacher. The term is usually used in a derogatory way. Jehovah’s Witnesses are not an offshoot of some church but include persons from all walks of life and from many religious backgrounds. They do not look to any human, but rather to Jesus Christ, as their leader.
    A cult is a religion that is said to be unorthodox or that emphasizes devotion according to prescribed ritual. Many cults follow a living human leader, and often their adherents live in groups apart from the rest of society. The standard for what is orthodox, however, should be God’s Word, and Jehovah’s Witnesses strictly adhere to the Bible. Their worship is a way of life, not a ritual devotion. They neither follow a human nor isolate themselves from the rest of society. They live and work in the midst of other people.

How old is the religion of Jehovah’s Witnesses?

According to the Bible, the line of witnesses of Jehovah reaches back to faithful Abel. Hebrews 11:4–12:1 says: “By faith Abel offered God a sacrifice of greater worth than Cain . . . By faith Noah, after being given divine warning of things not yet beheld, showed godly fear . . . By faith Abraham, when he was called, obeyed in going out into a place he was destined to receive as an inheritance . . . By faith Moses, when grown up, refused to be called the son of the daughter of Pharaoh, choosing to be ill-treated with the people of God rather than to have the temporary enjoyment of sin . . . So, then, because we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also put off every weight and the sin that easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us.”

With reference to Jesus Christ, the Bible states: “These are the things that the Amen says, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation by God.” Of whom was he a witness? He himself said that he made his Father’s name manifest. He was the foremost witness of Jehovah.—Rev. 3:14; John 17:6.

Interestingly, some of the Jews asked whether the activity of Jesus Christ represented “a new teaching.” (Mark 1:27) Later, some Greeks thought the apostle Paul was introducing a “new teaching.” (Acts 17:19, 20) It was new to the ears of those who were hearing it, but the important thing was that it was the truth, in full harmony with God’s Word.

The modern-day history of Jehovah’s Witnesses began with the forming of a group for Bible study in Allegheny, Pennsylvania, U.S.A., in the early 1870’s. At first they were known only as Bible Students, but in 1931 they adopted the Scriptural name Jehovah’s Witnesses. (Isa. 43:10-12) Their beliefs and practices are not new but are a restoration of first-century Christianity.

• zoiks
    zoiks

Welcome, FWT! Nice observation. But you're going to be disappointed if you're hoping for some critical thinking from the average JW.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Welcome, FWT!

• funnyface
    funnyface

Welcome aboard FWT,,,My dictionary says" Cult >Devotion or Homage to person or thing.."That in my opinion

makes JW's a CULT....& in my Humble opinion a very cruel one. Since if you dont accept the men at Bethel's

teaching they tell all the rest of family & friends we are evil. & deprive us of the love of Daughter,granddaughter

& all whom we love. I do hope they dont deprive you of YOUR loved ones when the Closet door REALLY opens

God Be with you! & God in MY opinion is the Creator of the World.
    FATHER,SON(JESUS CHRIST) & HOLY SPIRIT!!!
    Even the JW"bible tells us that JESUS IS THE WAY! TRUTH! LIFE! NO ONE comes to the Father exxcept by HIM!!!!

• Soldier77
    Soldier77

Welcome to the board Frank!

JWs employ the 'us vs. them' thinking every chance they get to make themselves look like they are 'a special people chosen by God' This is a form of cognitive dissonance to gather with like minded people to make their beliefs consonant and justify it.

Truth be told, JWs are a mind control cult and they were a breakaway sect from the Second Adventist movement back in the mid 1800s. JWs don't even acknowledge their own history. They are liars (the controlling members of the cult, GB and legal dept.) and history revisionists. They like leaving out the juicing scandalous parts of their shady past.

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

They want to define themselves as the "one true religion". Nothing else will do.

Welcome FWT.

• bobld
    bobld

The hate being called what they are a cult.They try to say the 1st witnesses was Abel down to J.C. but they can't account any witness from J.C. to 1874.At least the R.C. can say the 1st pope was peter and they have a line of popes from the 1st christian church do the present pope.

B

• brotherdan
    brotherdan
    They do not look to any human, but rather to Jesus Christ, as their leader.

Even as a JW, I never knew how they could justify this sort of statement.

1. They don't worship or talk/pray to Jesus

2. They DO look to humans for leadership

3. They look to JEHOVAH as their leader, NOT Jesus

4. There are MANY levels of human leaders (i.e. m.s, elder, co, do, branch committee, GB)

5. When is the last time they ASKED Jesus for direction?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit