Rescued Miners: the Psychology of Being Free

by TastingFreedom 14 Replies latest jw friends

• TastingFreedom
    TastingFreedom

The story of the miners seems to be causing a media frenzy. I actually wouldn't pay too much attention to the stories. But I came across something that caught my attention because it may relate to our experience after becoming free from a cult. Just like the miners, we may experience Post Traumatic Stress Disorder for some time after getting out.
    So I thought it would be helpful to share it with you guys and maybe get your thoughts.

This is an article on ABCnews.com:

Rescued Miners May Be Trapped by Psychological Issues

Amid cheers and celebration and a throng of loved ones, officials and media, the 33 Chilean miners emerged, one by one, from the ground.

But once the jubilation is over, experts say the men may have to confront a number of medical and psychological issues. Among the most serious of them is post-traumatic stress disorder.

"The probability they will have PTSD symptoms is very high," said Edith Foa, director of the Center for the Treatment and Study of Anxiety and a professor of psychiatry at the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine in Philadelphia. "How permanent those symptoms are, or if they're going to develop further, is something we need to wait and see."

After surviving more than two months trapped underground and facing tremendous uncertainty, including the prospect that they could have died, experts say the miners may now suffer a number of symptoms related to PTSD and other psychological issues. How they respond to them depends on each miner's individual psyche as well as the amount of support they get from mental health professionals, their families and the community.

"Some may have depression, anxiety or phobic symptoms, some may socially withdraw, some may become hypervigilant and some may have traumatic reminders of the event," said Dr. Jon Shaw, professor of psychiatry at the University of Miami School of Medicine.

Shaw said their body clocks will likely have trouble readjusting after months in darkness.

"They will have trouble with the sleep-wake cycle, their Circadian rhythms," he said.

'Band of Brothers' Will Now Break Up

During their ordeal, experts say the miners probably formed strong bonds with each other in order to survive.

"There will also be a sense of loss from the 'band of brothers' and the cohesiveness they experienced," said Shaw. "A lot of the support actually came from the group, and that's analogous to what happens in the military."

Now that the group is no longer together, the miners will need a lot of support from other sources.

"Their ability to recover also depends on if they have family support around them," said Foa. "I think these people will get a lot of support from families and the entire population of Chile and especially from the people in their hometown."

She added that relationships in the family may be difficult at first as the men attempt to adjust.

"It's possible to have strained family relationships. One symptom of PTSD is irritability and a feeling of alienation from other people, because other people did not go through the same experience they did, and can't possibly really understand what they went through."

The experts also say the miners may have trouble returning to normal life after the notoriety is gone, re-establishing their roles in the family after months of absence, and other problems returning to their regular lives.

Will They Return to the Mines?

"There may be a fear of going back to work," said Foa. "There's a very realistic risk of working in the mines. Events like this one don't happen every day, but the risk is there."

But Al Holland, a senior operational psychologist from NASA who's on the team advising Chilean officials on the rescue effort, said he doesn't think the miners will feel that way, although it is possible that some will.

"There's no reason to expect there will be any problems with work. They were trapped where they work, which is different from being trapped in an unusual situation," said Holland.

Holland said Chilean officials are giving miners access to counseling for six months so they can deal with their issues. But Foa said counseling might not be enough.

"We don't have evidence that counseling is helpful for PTSD, but there are treatments that are effective. We have treatments that are very helpful to reduce the probability of getting chronic PTSD."

But experts are optimistic the miners can recover.

"The majority of them are likely to recover," said Foa. "Recovery doesn't mean they will forget completely, because they won't, but recovery means they will go back to functioning where they won't have symptoms severe enough to cause major distress and will get readjusted to daily life."

Shaw agreed: "We should never underestimate the ability to recover from trauma."

Source: http://abcnews.go.com/Health/MindMoodNews/rescued-chilean-miners-face-numerous-psychological-challenges/story?id=11870095&page=2

Interesting stuff that may or may not relate to our experience. Any thoughts?

• james_woods
    james_woods

I believe I heard that they had NASA advise them on various activities to help keep them sane while they were trapped - something the JWs would never consider: (the sanity of their membership, that is).

Interesting that it is still considered a challenge to be freed and re-enter society, given outside help & encouragement, plus being buried there for only about 2 1/2 months instead of years upon years like many JWs.

• funnyface
    funnyface

One of them is a JW.

His wife found out he has a mistress while he wqs there
    He wanted his wife & mistress to be at the top to met him
    The wife said NO WAY!!!! But a good looking gal cuddled & kissed him when he
    came up..... He is for trouble ...might be worse than down below poor devil

• TastingFreedom
    TastingFreedom

Is Johny, the one with the mistress and the wife, a Jehovah's Witness? Ohhhhh. If so, no wonder he was totally scared when coming out, he probably has a judicial committee waiting for him?

He will really be depressed even more with PTSD and now if he loses friends and family. If being trapped in a mine didn't kill him, the Watchtower may very well accomplish that!

• funnyface
    funnyface

Yes that is him

• TastingFreedom
    TastingFreedom

funnyface,

How do you know? How can you back that up if you don't mind me asking.... I just don't want to speculate unless we know for sure. THanks!

• funnyface
    funnyface

The miner who is supposed to be a JW. Samuel Avalos Acuna I was sent this from some one who seems to know

• funnyface
    funnyface

Sorry it was Johny

• behemot
    behemot

The miner who is a JW is Samuel Avalos Acuna.

Maybe the rumors about him having a mistress originate from this place:

http://e-watchman.com/jehovahs-witnesses-news/2010/9/6/trapped-chilean-miner-thanks-jehovah.html

... but the article says only that "several of the trapped miners have been found out to be adulterers, when both the wives and their mistresses showed up at the mine site carrying the same photos of their loved one"; it doesn't say the JW is one of them.

Here http://www.allvoices.com/contributed-news/7012647-samuel-avalos-22nd-miner-rescued it says that after being rescued he "embraced the rescuers and family as he finally breathed into the air of freedom."

Behe

• Podobear
    Podobear

The rescue of the miners in Chile has breathed a spirit of hope and euphoria into a desperately sick world. All power to them all and their families!

For a change can we please put aside our own self-pity???

For those of us that remain with some kind of faith in tact.. offer a little prayer of thanks, maybe.

!vaya con dios, hombres!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit