Define spirituality

by sleepy 10 Replies latest jw friends

• sleepy
    sleepy

Define spirituality if you can.

What does the society mean when they talk of being spiritual?
    All I could figure out is just someone who follows the rules.

So if there is no God is spirituality meaning less or something still desirable?

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

Spirituality in the Watchtower world is a quality measured in hours per month.

--
    "The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine, The Age of Reason, 1794.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Sleepy

If there is no god, or if god isn't spirit, if there is no such thing as spirit, then spirituality would be meaningless. There could be a situation such as there being spirits, but not god.

I would say spirituality is a study or involvement/interaction w anything of a spiritual nature. Spiritual nature would of necessity have to be of or pertaining to spirit entities. This would exclude such things as wt mags, bibles, king halls etc. The wt is hardly spiritual. If a jw did anything of a spiritual nature (other than praying to jehovah), such as talking/hearing(claireaudience)/seeing(clairevoyance)/travelling(astral travelling) w angels, doing out of body type actions in the spirit realm w their spirit bodies, they would be labeled as demonized and subsequently dfed. This is rather strange since there are many persons inthe bible who had/did/saw unexplained/strange spiritual type things. The wt claims to be the end all and be all of anything of any importance in the bible. Jesus said his followers would do things such as heal the sick, raise the dead, expel demons, drink poison without damage, walk on water, make mountains fly through the air; all actions that would be considered of a spiritual nature. Yet wt reps cannot even expel a little demon who supposedly haunts a piece of used furniture. Jws are in deathly fear of demons, never mind the devil himself. All in all, i would say jws are, next to atheists, the smallest spiritual wimps on the face of the earth.

SS

• sleepy
    sleepy

When I was a JW I thought spirituality must be some thing related to the spirit world , except only the good spirits.
    So I thought to be spiritual equals copying good spirits.
    This contrasted with fleshly , worldly equaled copying bad humans.

But most people seemed to use it as a vague term for some kind of a part of creatures that drives it to do good things.

Anyway a lot of people seem to use the word spiritual without being able to define it properly.

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

Mahatma Ghandi ( a non- Christian) once told a British Viceroy, if your country and my country were to follow the beautitudes of Christ we would have a better world to live in.

Guest 77

• wonderwoman77
    wonderwoman77

Hmmm....To my spirituality is getting in touch with yourself and the world around you, it is developing a relationship with that higher being or spirit you believe in. If you do not believe in one, it is connecting with whatever makes you feel complete and gives you that feeling. I do not know how to describe that feeling, but you will know when you have found it....

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

Spirituality: The state, quality, manner, or fact of being spiritual.
    Spiritual: 1. Consisting of spirit; not material; incorporeal; as, a spiritual substance or being.
    It is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body. --1 Cor. xv. 44.
    2. Of or pertaining to the intellectual and higher endowments of the mind; mental; intellectual.
    3. Of or pertaining to the moral feelings or states of the soul, as distinguished from the external actions; reaching and affecting the spirits.
    God's law is spiritual; it is a transcript of the divine nature, and extends its authority to the acts of the soul of man. --Sir T. Browne.[/]
    4. Of or pertaining to the soul or its affections as influenced by the Spirit; controlled and inspired by the divine Spirit; proceeding from the Holy Spirit; pure; holy; divine; heavenly-minded; -- opposed to carnal.
    [i]That I may impart unto you some spiritual gift. --Rom. i. ll
    Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings. --Eph. i. 3.
    If a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one. --Gal. vi. 1.

5. Not lay or temporal; relating to sacred things; ecclesiastical; as, the spiritual functions of the clergy; lords spiritual and temporal; a spiritual corporation.

---Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

• WindRider
    WindRider

WonderWoman77, I liked the way you put that.....it IS difficult to put into words. Partly I think, because it is a very personal experience for everyone and it is not something tangible you can hold in your hands.

For some, that takes on the connection to their God, or their higher power, for others it is feeling connected to the life force of nature that is all around us; the essence of life, with all it's beauty, wonder, and sheer power. However we each define spirituality, I think the one thing we might all have in common is that it leaves us striving to do better, to BE better. And that can't be bad in my book.

Just my opinion,
    Windrider

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

WW77-

You put that well. I also like your "definition."

Thanks!

• proplog2
    proplog2

It's immaterial. Forgedaboudit!

Share this

Google+