The Problem of Evil --- The Plot

by LoneWolf 14 Replies latest jw friends

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    You would well know that there is no scripture that directly says that Satan was using the snake as a ventriloquist's dummy, but that there are plenty of other clues that point to that fact, not the least of which is that Satan was condemned almost immediately afterwards.

Immediately afterwards? Well, that's definitely not mentioned in Genesis, I'm pretty sure it's nowhere in the Old Testament at all. The word "satan" appears only 19 times in the Old Testament (Authorized Version), twelve of which are in the book of Job. Nowhere in the Old Testament is Satan identified as a fallen angel.

If I'm wrong, I apologize and would be happy to give you the rundown on why nearly all of the so-called christian religions believe that Satan is responsible.
    Please do. I know Satan appears much more frequently in the New Testament, but I couldn't find any scripture that even contains a suggestion that he was controlling the serpent in Genesis.

--
    "The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine, The Age of Reason, 1794.

• LoneWolf
    LoneWolf

Then the apology is cheerfully given. I must ask your patience, though, as it's already 4 a.m. and I'm tired. (I know, I know. You gotta have a license to be tired, right? Tough. )

I'll try to get it tomorrow.

LoneWolf

• LoneWolf
    LoneWolf

funkyderek ---

Sorry I couldn't get to it last night. The sewer backed up and well --- yuk. [>:(]

If all you are doing is looking up the words Satan or devil, you probably won't get that much on that specific point. Remember that neither of those are names, rather, they are descriptions of what he was, such as doctor, attorney, thief, murderer, etc., describes us today. "Satan" means resister or adversary, while "devil" means liar or slanderer. It's interesting that many times in the scriptures the definite article that we would translate "the" precedes the word, indicating that there is something special that gives him primacy in that field.

If he was first, then that puts him in the Garden of Eden. That he is always shown to be God's arch enemy lends more credence to it.

Don't expect to get an understanding from just Genesis alone. Use the theme as it extends throughout the Bible, as each mention of him is like a small piece of the jigsaw puzzle and eventually makes a fairly clear picture.

Something that I've always been interested in is that Satan's real name is supposed to be Lucifer, but whether that is just tradition or if there is actually some sound reason for believing it, I don't know, for I've never had time to research it.

Your words (here and elsewhere) make me wonder if you feel someone else was responsible? Any pet theories, or is this just something that you feel discredits Genesis?

LoneWolf

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Yes, since allowing myself to fall under sway of the thinking of the evil one many questions of this nature have entered my own mind.

What about this "challenge to Gods sovereignty"?
    Where is that matter discussed in scripture?

What of the fact that, in Eden, God is inaccurate in his statement of the consequences of eating the fruit, wheras Satan's assessment is correct?

Why would 1/3 of the angels of heaven take side with a rebel who cannot win under any circumstances?
    Or can Satan win?
    Are there rules to the engagement of the forces of light and darkness? What are those rules?. The Bible doesnt explain them.

Isnt Satan correct in saying that humans only serve God based on a reward/punishment system? The whole point of the conflict in the book of Job.
    If Satan is correct regarding 99 percent of the human population, then why hasnt he been declared the winner of the arguement?
    Does Satan have to produce 100 percent conversion against God to win the arguement? Does God win so long as there is "one righteous man"?

So many questions. So few answers.
    Dont bother praying to, or questioning the Biblical God seeking knowledge though.Read the Finale of the book of Job. See what God has to say to those who question Him....

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    Don't expect to get an understanding from just Genesis alone. Use the theme as it extends throughout the Bible, as each mention of him is like a small piece of the jigsaw puzzle and eventually makes a fairly clear picture.

My point is that it doesn't. Can you quote scriptures to back up your assertions?

--
    "The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine, The Age of Reason, 1794.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit