The back cover of the next novel (directly JW related) will say something like this.

by JeffT 21 Replies latest jw friends

• JeffT
    JeffT

WAITING FOR AMAGEDDON

For over a hundred years, the Jehovah’s Witnesses have lived in expectation of a great battle between good and evil; their preaching of this coming doom their primary contact with the world around them. Now, one of their congregations finds a body in their Kingdom Hall.

Unable to penetrate the insular world of the Witnesses, who seem more interested in protecting their reputation than finding the killer, the police enlist two men to unravel the mystery. Ed Franklin, a contract investigator with a bulldog reputation for tracking down elusive criminals, and his neighbor, Jack Thornton, a former Witness excommunicated for heresy.

They begin to unravel the story of a sociopathic monster who grew tired of waiting for God to act. For years, perhaps decades, he has been preying on the unsuspecting Witness community.

Can they find him and stop him before he kills again?

At my usual target of 500 words a day, in theory I could write it in about six months. As a matter of practicality I expect it to take a year. There is always writers block, spewing out twenty pages only to find I've painted myself into a corner etc. Plus if one of the other projects gets purchased I may get distracted.

I may ask some questions from time to time as I've been out for over twenty years and some things have changed.

• steve2
    steve2

Murder mysteries involving religious "cults" are literally a dime a dozen. The blurb alone almost induces a snooze and would be of interest mainly to the very tiny percentage of potential readers who have some connection to the Witnesses. You'd have to beef it up with compelling characters and spine-tingling plot twists - and the title looks all noise and no substance...otherwise your novel will go the same way as the latest Awake or Watchtower: The next available trash can.

• VampireDCLXV
    VampireDCLXV
    Murder mysteries involving religious "cults" are literally a dime a dozen. The blurb alone almost induces a snooze and would be of interest mainly to the very tiny percentage of potential readers who have some connection to the Witnesses. You'd have to beef it up with compelling characters and spine-tingling plot twists - and the title looks all noise and no substance...otherwise your novel will go the same way as the latest Awake or Watchtower: The next available trash can.

OUCH! Not nice dood...

V665

• donuthole
    donuthole

@JeffT - have you ever participated in National Novel Writing Month? It is coming up in November. The goal is to churn out a 50k word first-draft. It is a little step up from 500 words a day. Check it out at nanowrimo.org.

• JeffT
    JeffT

Yes, I've looked into nanowrimo I may try to participate, but I've discovered that a slow steady realistic goal works better, at least for me. As Truman Capote said, "that's not writing it's typing."

Steve, yes I've noticed how poorly religious thrillers like The DaVinci Code and Demons and Angels sold. It's a tiny niche market, but I think I can squeeze into it.

• MMXIV
    MMXIV

Nothing wrong with 500 a day - whatever works for you. You sound like you are being realistic about this project knowing when finished you may be shelving huge chunks and re-writing. You'll be learning the whole way and getting better at it so keep the faith!

Don't feel you need to stick to something that is authentically JW - way more important for it to be good than accurate i.e. Zadie Smith white teeth.

Wishing you every success.

MMXIV

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I missed a post or ten...did you finish your first novel, Jeff? I've been looking forward to it.

• JeffT
    JeffT

Mad Sweeny, I have several finished novels, unfortunately none has been published.

"Armageddon's Disciples" is about an apocalypic cult that "drinks the kool aid." It has been submitted to a publisher that considers unagented manuscripts.

"The Privateer" is a historical novel set in the American Revolution. It is currently being shopped to agents.

I've written an alternate history series, marketing is on hold while I'm looking for an agent that understands AH.

That means there is a total of half a million words or so residing in my hard drive.

• Farkel
    Farkel

steve2,

:Murder mysteries involving religious "cults" are literally a dime a dozen. The blurb alone almost induces a snooze and would be of interest mainly to the very tiny percentage of potential readers who have some connection to the Witnesses. You'd have to beef it up with compelling characters and spine-tingling plot twists - and the title looks all noise and no substance...otherwise your novel will go the same way as the latest Awake or Watchtower: The next available trash can.

Wow! You know a LOT about the subject.

By the way, how many books have you written?

How many books have you had published?

I'm sure you must have some experience in the field, because it's only losers who can't write books or think they can write books and get them published that are the ones who so freely criticize the efforts by others who are actually doing something they can't do. I have yet to see a literary or music critic who ever excelled in the fields where they earn their livings by doing nothing more than trashing those who actually make the effort.

By the way, a man by the name of Robert Ringer wrote a book "Winning Through Intimidation" and submitted it to nearly 50 publishers. They all said what you said. So he self-published it, and it was on the NY Times Non-Fiction Best Seller List for 5 months. He's had 5 of his books on their best seller list and routinely get $50,000 to make an appearance and give a speech. He's been a gust on all of the major networks, too.

I humbly suggest you take your invective and place it where the sun don't shine.

Farkel

• debator
    debator

I'm afraid I agree with steve2. I could be set in any religion! It's basically "hero seeks out villian" just in a religious setting. It's an overused plotline and Dan brown is top of his market with a lot of poor copycats not making much off it.

Especially If I suspect in your case that a lot of book content and plot will be sidelined to emphasise You anti-witness views.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit