I admit it, I believe in evolution.

by Louise 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

Ain't Grandma beautiful?

• scary21
    scary21

Hey Louise, I did the same thing as you, and came to the same conclusion. After I learned TTATT I started being a regular at the library more than at the bar....lol

Sherry

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    I agree evolution micro changes over thousands of years, yet the big unanswered question is how did life start and the universe and all that's in it?
  • rebel8
    rebel8

I was about to make the recommendation to read the book snare&racket suggested.

Gravity and evolution are facts, but evolution is harder for people with low scientific literacy to understand. I was one of those people. That term is not an insult--it's just a fact for some of us who were prevented from having education in science and got brainwashed with pseudoscience instead.

That book gives a pretty good explanation of how it works. Sometimes you read rants about how stupid creationists are. Fair enough, but IMHO creation is much simpler to understand because it requires no deep thinking and no comprehension of history/physics. Evolution is a little harder to grasp if you think about it. Once you read the book, it makes complete sense.

I'm not saying creation makes actual sense. It doesn't. It's just an easy thought stopping way to explain the existence of the universe. Beginning to comprehend the universe takes a lot of logic and effort.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams
    the big unanswered question is how did life start and the universe and all that's in it? - nothing to do with evolution, and therefore off topic!
  • SonoftheTrinity
    SonoftheTrinity

In matters that are obscure and far beyond our vision, even as we may find treated in holy scripture, different interpretations are sometimes possible without prejudice to the faith we have received. In such a case, we should not rush in headlong, and take our stand on one side that, if further progress in the search of truth justly undermines this position, we too fall with it. That would be not to battle for the Holy Scripture but for our own, wishing its teaching to conform to ours. -St. Augustine

• prologos
    prologos
    Evolution even works backward, news about animals in caves, BBC science news.
  • Louise
    Louise

Definitely going to read that book - The Greatest Show on Earth -

As for life and how that started. Well I can't answer that just, but perhaps it could be from outer space, or when conditions were right that sparked it. Happy to learn and read and listen.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

I must buy myself a copy of The Greatest Show on Earth, too.

I found The Blind Watchmaker (Dawkins) an interesting read. It discussed the objections that critics of evolution raise and then thoroughly answered them.

• donny
    donny
    Good for you Louise! I left some 22+ years ago and it is a decision that I do not regret. It was hard at first but things got better as time progressed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit