I admit it, I believe in evolution.

by Louise 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Louise
    Louise

After leaving the dub religion behind, I read everything that I could get my hands on, be it about other religions, beliefs, gods, occult, evolution - you name it - I read it.

I did this to 'catch up' and to educate myself, so that when I can to a decision it would be an intellectual / educational one. Not just because some book or person told me to believe it.

I have over time and with reading aids come to totally believe and accept evolution. It makes sense. Sure we may not see monkeys evolving to humans today, but that is because the evolution process has taken place and nature is clever like that :)

We do still see species adapting though. Adaption takes place over a noticeable time whereas full on evolution takes place over thousands or millions of years.

So Yeah I'm happy with that.

• galaxie
    galaxie
    Hi louise...you set a good example of how to benefit from sound evidence as opposed to the crutch of superstition under the guise of blind faith... well done !!
  • Phizzy
    Phizzy

I decided, a short while after I had left the cult, that my education was at best abysmal. I had been born in, and got all the rubbish the WT/JW religion feeds its followers, and ignored real scholarship and learning, thinking I knew sufficient.

I decided too, like you LouBou, that I would listen no more to mere opinions of men, but would lead an evidence based life.

So, Evolution by Natural Selection was duly proved to me to be supported by a huge quantity of evidence, tested and peer approved research especially.

I did not have to "believe" in it, in the sense of trusting it was true without evidence, the mountain of evidence was there for me.

I have decided I will not trust that anything is true without sufficient, satisfactory evidence.

I "believe" LOL that it is the only way to run your life, if you do not wish to be misled again.

• M*A*S*H
    M*A*S*H
    I think Phizzy is bang on. I try to always say "I accept Evolution" rather than "believe". I would never say "I believe in Gravity"... you tend to see the evidence for gravity and then accept it.
  • OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

You have taken a wise big first step. I also read many different things about religion and beliefs and I included science in my readings. Evolution is a fact, it is only the fine details that makes it a theory.

But you probably do learn it just as well by sticking to different readings on different god-beliefs. The most damning book about the errors of the Bible is the Bible itself.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Realizing that evolution was true and subsequently realizing that the WTS could never budge on it (for a metric f**k-ton of reasons) were, in retrospect, the very first steps in my fade, although I didn't know it at the time.

x

Among a multitude of other reasons, one of the biggest things that helped me accept it was that it did so much better a job (than creationism ever could) at explaining all the really weirder shit found in nature.

Once you accept that evolution is real, it becomes an endlessly fascinating subject.

• cofty
    cofty
    You will now enjoy not having to perform mental gymnastics everytime facts intrude.
  • snare&racket
    snare&racket

May I strongly and humbly suggest reading "The greatest show on earth" by Richard Dawkins, not only will it inform you about evolution, but give you mountainous undeniable, evidence that you can share And help others with.

Now you have opened your mind to science and evidence, don't stop there, go look at the data, it's where the exciting element to science begins....

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Evolution happened. There is a massive amount of evidence and it all points to this statement. Biologists argue over details but not whether evolution happened or not.

Examining the evidence and then denying evolution happened is akin to examining the entry and exit wounds of a corpse and denying that the deceased had been shot.

• snare&racket

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit