Witness Funeral--to go ot not to go?

by ValiantBoy 18 Replies latest jw friends

• nugget
    nugget

Go your aunt will appreciate it your Uncle would have wanted it, that is all that counts.

• ambersun
    ambersun

Yes, I know what you mean. I dread JW funerals too, but go out of respect for the person who has passed away, especially if they were a close family member. Unfortunately it involves gritting your teeth and sitting through the lecture from the platform. It seems the primary theme of any JW funeral is to ensure the captive audience have an earful of WT doctrines and to try and shame the ex JWs into returning to the clutches of the Borg.

The life and times of the deceased comes waaaay down the list of priorities and must be fitted into a set outline issued by the Society. At the last funeral we attended, nothing was said about our deceased relative's life other than how much of her time she gave to knocking doors, attending meetings and assemblies, bringing bible studies into the 'Truth' etc. Her personal life experiences and achievements were barely touched upon!! Nobody would have known what she was like as an individual.

Just try and switch your mind off from the drivel coming from the platform and think about your loved ones, which is the reason you are there. Your support will be very much appreciated by the people who matter, I am sure.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter
    They did not stop associating with us; even last night Aunt Bess told me that Uncle Bill wishes he could have spent more time with me... Their congregation, despite the fact Bill was removed as en elder, is very good to them and has taken amazing care of them during Bill's illness. I am impressed.

I say go. Go to show respect for your Great Uncle, go to support your Great Aunt and the rest of the family, go to say "thank you" to those who helped them out during his illness. Don't let a dreary WT funeral stop you from doing the right thing for people who have done right for you and your family.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I would advise you to go.

Not for your Uncle Bill's sake, because he will be dead and knowing not anything, but for the sake of your Aunt Bess, who did not shun you when her elders wanted her to. She showed the kind of love that Jesus spoke about (if Jesus was real*). She endured discomfort to share her love with you. Do the same for her.

Be a better person than the JWs usually are. You can handle it.

*I'm an atheist, but "Love your neighbor as you love yourself" doesn't mention god.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Go. If any of them behave badly, that reflects on them, not you.

Don't get drawn in to any discussion you are not comfortable with. Make an excuse, go for a leak or go and get another cup of tea to water another plastic pot plant with, then avoid them when you get back.

• agonus
    agonus

Whatever you decide to do, always err on the side of love and compassion.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

If you can handle it..Go..

Personally I can`t..

So I Miss the Funeral and go to the Wake..

I still get to see everyone and I don`t have to listen to WBT$ BS..

.................. ...OUTLAW

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Go. Your uncle and aunt went out of their way to associate with you, despite counsel from the elders. An hour out of your time won't hurt you. Do it for your aunt, especially.

And sit with the family group.

• breathing
    breathing

oh and if you do decide togo,

go with your held held high,

look them in the eyes,

and bePROUD of who you are

and think of all us lot here supporting you

and have fire in your belly!!!

(some of my anger at them coming out there!!!)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit