Name Some Stupid Organization/ Congregation Rules

by minimus 60 Replies latest jw friends

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

MINIMUS,

Wow, I could probably write a book about the rules, regulations and arguments over the years about dress and grooming in the religion for both men and women.

I feel the religion is very hypocritical with the 'businesslike' image they want to project to the public when in reality they are against worldly careers. Also, the impression of being 'businesslike' implies an education of sorts and, again, this is something many JWs do not have. It's all a big show and a veneer with the real story being vastly different in many cases.

I learned early on they had issues about women and I was criticized over a slit in my (rather long) skirt. Later on, I saw the attitudes against denim and the grief that women got over wearing it. I didn't think it was so bad in the summer months if a sister wore a denim skirt and everything else about her was clean and neat.

I noticed at some point in time there was an us versus them attitude with regard to sisters who were 'stylish' versus those who were 'plain'. I always felt that nobody's style (or LACK of style) should be inflicted on anybody else. As far as I was concerned, the unadorned sister who lives in the country with her shirt-waist dress and no makeup is just as acceptable as the sister in the big city who may have a more dressy suit with a modest amount of makeup and jewelry. And who do you think starts all the trouble in the congregations? Yup, it is the 'plain', unadorned women who criticize the more 'stylish' ones.

With regard to the brothers: The rules are just as annoying but I don't think they are as cramped as the ones for women. I personally don't see anything wrong with color shirts or modest texturing and prints. I certainly don't think there is anything wrong with some facial hair. Should a brother wear a handle-bar moustache or a bushy beard down to his chest? I tend to think No unless men in society in general wear this.

Again, the religion is all about appearances and 'seeming' to be businesslike.

• minimus
    minimus

In the 1st KH I was in, certain ones tried to make a deal out of my wife's nails, makeup, clothing and jewelry. Eff them!!!

• Mad Dawg
    Mad Dawg

Wing Commander asked:

Excuse me, since when does the flock feed the Shephard?

Answer: When the flock gets slaughtered.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

I must admit that I have an issue with the "no birthday celebration" bit. However, I continue to make my own personal ritual to mark my birthday, and many others I know do the same. I hear of families going very discreetly out to dinner with their loved ones, or even going as far as giving them gifts right on their birthday. I mean, what's the big deal?!

I truly in my heart of hearts don't for a second believe the Almighty is really offended about a brief moment of rejoycing for being born into this wonderful life!

This and the allowing young children (anyone under the age of 17) to get baptized really upsets me!

It's just me, though. The attitude really may due me in if it's broadly known by my JW peers that sweat the small stuff.

DY

• Pitchess Co-Gen
    Pitchess Co-Gen

You can't wear hats inside a building ( I could see at Kingdom Hall ), but not even at a gathering ?

• truthseekeriam
    truthseekeriam

For the males. Hair too long..hair too short. My husband had that problem all the time! It would drive him crazy.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

No using of/quoting from any Bible other than the NWT. Unless of course you're the GB. This rule apparently doesn't apply to them or their delegated representatives on the mysterious "Writing Committee". I'm sure we've all noticed that the WT publications routinely cite/quote other translations/versions. For just one recent example see the w2011 p. 19, para. 13:

“Godliness with contentment is great gain.” (1 Tim. 6:6, New International Version)

• crazycate
    crazycate

If someone had been reproved, even privately, he or she couldn't be an attendant in a wedding if it was in the kingdom hall.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

No oral sex. Probably the GB figured if they weren't getting any then neither was anyone else!

• Joepublisher1
    Joepublisher1

I was working on a Kingdom Hall project and this sister walked up to me and reminded me that there's no tank tops allowed! I walked off the site and NEVER helped out on a Kindom Hall project again! Of course, later on (with the help of the internet) I found out this whole religion is a sham and no different then all other religions on this earth. They are all hypocritical. And, there's ALWAYS someone or some body of men at the top of the pyramid living off of the backs of hard-working people!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit