Name Some Stupid Organization/ Congregation Rules

by minimus 60 Replies latest jw friends

• undercover
    undercover

A lot of so-called "rules" were local only.

The white shirt only rule. I remembered that being a rule in one congregation, but in another congregation in the same city, there was no such rule.

The same with denim skirts. Some places it was not an issue, others it was grieving the holy spirit to wear such a garment.

One congregation required a suit for giving the Sunday talk and doing the WT study, but the other meetings, slacks and sport jacket were okay. Other congregations required a suit for any part from the platform.

Depending on how conservative the body of elders was determined how strict a lot of these "rules" were.

It was tough moving from a fairly liberal congregation to a conservative one where a lot of the things taken for granted previously were now "wrong".

Grooming laws I was counseled on over time...

The army jacket as I mentioned before

Rock concert T-shirts

Loud, colorful neckties

Hair too long, mustache too long

Not wearing a jacket (suit, sport or otherwise) in service

Not wearing a proper overcoat in service during the winter (waist length jackets were not allowed. They had to be 3/4 or full length overcoats)

These rules are for a couple of reasons:

One, they want to protect the "christian, conservative" reputation. Don't do anything that brings attention to yourself or trumps your message or work as a magazine peddler.

Two, it's a control issue. If you willingly, uncomplainingly follow arbitrary rules on every little thing from the color of your tie to the fabric of your skirt to how clean your shoes are, then odds are you'll obey in most any other matter. If you flinch at the counsel or resist changing to adhere to the code, then it sends a signal to the elders that you aren't fully with the program. They'll keep an eye on you and try to work to get you in line.

• undercover
    undercover
    I wonder why the WTS drawings of Jesus don't picture him clean shaven with short hair, wearing a business suit, and carrying a book bag.

Early WT illustrations actually did depict Jesus as clean shaven.

Rutherford must've really hated facial hair...or CT Russell...or both.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

A sister who grew up in the Baltimore area told me this more than 20 years ago so, since they flip flop so much I don't know if this in still in effect, but she said that at wedding receptions they were not permitted to play records,

• undercover
    undercover
    she said that at wedding receptions they were not permitted to play records

That would be another local rule. Most of the wedding receptions in our area used recorded music, be it records, tapes or CDs. What was discouraged was using a live band. Partly because of the cost (it didn't cost nuthin to use a friend from the hall to spin some records compared to hiring a band) and because you had less control over what a "worldly" band would play.

What was interesting was how strict they were over the music selection. If the "director of the feast" - you know, the 'brother' in charge of the reception to make sure it stays within WT guidelines - is ultra conservative, you're going to have some boring dance music.

I deejayed some weddings back in my younger days. It was such a chore to try to find good, modern, hip, danceable music that wouldn't create havoc within the elder body. At least once each wedding, I got counseled for an improper song...or how loud it was being played. I finally gave up doing it and so did the couple of other brothers I knew who did it. The last 2 or 3 weddings I went to, they had hired a professional deejay, with lights, strobes, disco ball, the works. Much better production than what I did. He also got away with riskier music too. He didn't have to worry about being counseled at the meeting the next day.

• bigmouth
    bigmouth

Our Cong. had a rule against flip flops -Shame the rest of the WTBTS didn't have this attitude !

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!
    The same with denim skirts. Some places it was not an issue, others it was grieving the holy spirit to wear such a garment.

Definitely a rule in Ohio. Don't even think about getting up on the stage to do a demonstration or whatever with a jean skirt. "Too casual" is what I was told.

• confuzzled777
    confuzzled777

Someone else mentioned this, but the whole jean skirt rule was a HUGE deal in my cong. I LOVED jean skirts! I wore them ALL the time. When that info came out, I had to go buy almost a whole new wardrobe for the hall.

YET my SIL who attended a different cong. said that sisters wore jean skirts all the time. WHAT THE?????

Just goes to show you that things do NOT apply to the org. as a whole........

uuuggghhhh

BTW.....GREAT POST!!! Actually kind of fun......if I did not have company coming over in the next 30 minutes, I might be able to come up with a few more!

• Nice_Dream
    Nice_Dream

Rules against sideburns being too long.

One older sister mentioned in a comment that women should not wear pants at anytime, especially jeans. It wasn't proper for being a witness of Jehovah. Luckily, that one wasn't enforced.

• 3Mozzies
    3Mozzies

No beards.

Once I asked an elders wife: "Why can't brothers have beards?"

She responded: "It disrespects Jehovah"

I replied: "Jesus had a beard"

The look on her face was priceless, it's like she never knew Jesus had a beard, then it hit her like a tonne of bricks (that he did have a beard) & she felt very stupid indeed.

Stupid JW thinking

3Mozzies

• Pandoras cat11
    Pandoras cat11

Long red fingernails!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit