Can you get D'fd for Gluttony?

by MMXIV 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• MMXIV
    MMXIV

The recent story by confuzzled777 about being d'fd for drinking a few times got me thinking. What about gluttony?

Some scriptures that spring to mind are Proverbs 23:2, I Cor 6:9-10 etc.

Has anyone you know been d'fd for gluttony? Why is having a few drinks or cigarettes considered a disfellowshipping offense and not therefore obesity considering the health risks?

MMXIV

• CuriousButterfly
    CuriousButterfly

Technically you can, but I have never heard of it. If so, then 85% of the JWs should be Df'd.

• Joey Jo-Jo
    Joey Jo-Jo

Adventists take this serious, even ex-adventists like Dr Desmond Ford.

• St George of England
    St George of England

Probably less easy to conceal than is drinking too much. How many seriously overweight elders have you seen?

George

• noni1974
    noni1974

My mother almost did. Back in the late 70's she had a JC. They gave her a month to lose weight. She went on a starvation diet and lost 40 pounds. She got reproved instead.

• MMXIV
    MMXIV

Noni1974 - I never expected to get an actual example. So she would have had to go to the KH for years to come with people (at least elders if it was a private reproof) checking out her weight?

MMXIV

• confuzzled777
    confuzzled777

Funny that you should ask that. In my "hearing" they compared gluttony to drunkenness. And that it IS a disfellowshipping offense. ALTHOUGH, I have never seen it happen as they cannot prove it like they can drinking and such.

They ranked it right up there with fornication, adultery and being drunk. Saying just 1 time was a disfellowshipping offense, if you were unrepentant.

GREAT question!!

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

If 3 elders agree, then yes, you can be Dfed.

• MMXIV
    MMXIV

So it's not just a case of a bunch of elders being able to pick on a fat kid and get him d'fd? Simply eating one huge meal in front of two witnesses whether you are overweight or not could get you shunned?

MMXIV

• blondie
    blondie

gluttony does not equal fat....I knew a brother that was always taking more than his share at social events, stuffing his face, leaving others with nothing to eat...yet, he was not fat, but he was greedy and selfish, they held a JC for him and he mended his ways.

I know another brother that the elders wanted to get in line who was about 30 pounds overweight, they attacked him on that...the real problem was his overdrinking...he lost a lot of weight, found out he had cancer and died 3 months later.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit