I've noticed a peculiar human trait lately....

by Terry 49 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Terry
    Terry

At the bookstore where I work free coffee has been provided for at least 6 years now.

The customers (and non-customers who just come in and mooch) go through a dozen or so pots a day!

Our store manager decided we could ill afford to provide BOTH caffeine free and Regular coffee because of 2 reasons.

1.We are always running out of Regular and not that many people drink caffeine free.

2.When we do run out of Regular the customers get really pissed off and hunt employees down to complain!

I began noticing how easily a gift or a courtesy extended to a person suddenly becomes viewed as a RIGHT!

They act as though they are ENTITLED to have whatever coffee they want WHEN they want it and HOW they want it---or, by golly, they're gonna let you know about it.

Upon further reflection this led me to a formal consideration of just exactly what a RIGHT really is and where it comes from

Tell me if you agree.....

A RIGHT is that which can be exercised without anyone's permission.

If you exist only because society permits you to exist--you have no right to your own life.A __permission__can be revoked at any time.
    Man is not, by nature, a lone wolf; he is a social animal and a contractual animal. Co-existence with other humans requires voluntary agreements of what is not tolerated and what is.
    A right cannot be violated except by physical force. One man cannot deprive another of his life, nor enslave him, nor forbid him to pursue his happiness, except by using force against him. Whenever a man is made to act against his own interests his rights have been violated.If you have to obtain permission from society, a group, a person before you act--then you are not free, whether the permission is granted or not! Only a slave acts on permission of others.There is no such thing as a "right to a job"; there is only the right to free trade. It is a man's ability to work and do it better that gives him an edge.
    There is no "right to a home", only the right of free trade; a man may trade his work efforts for money and money for ownership or he may build the house himself.
    There are no "rights to a fair wage" nor to a "fair price". If no one CHOOSES to pay the price asked or work for the wage offered he is free to decline. There are no "rights of consumers" to milk, shoes, movies or champagne if nobody chooses to produce those things for consumption; there is only the right to do it for oneself.
    There are no rights of farmers, of workers, of businessmen, of employees or of the old, the young or the unborn. There are only the RIGHTS OF MAN-- rights possessed by every individual man and by all men as individuals. Individual rights are not subject to a public vote; a majority has no right to vote away the rights of a minority. The purpose of the Bill of Rights is to protect minorities from oppression by majorities. The smallest minority on Earth is..............................The Individual!An embryo has no rights. Rights do not pertain to a potential, only to an actual being. A child cannot acquire any rights until it is born. The living take precedence over the not-yet-living.It has been said that rights bring obligations. Obligations to whom? Imposed by whom?
    This implies that rights are a gift from the State!This would mean a man would have to buy off the state by offering his life. The draft is an attempt to impose such an obligation on a citizen. To buy off the state the citizen risks his life.
    The only obligation on an individual's rights comes from the nature of reality; which is things as they are. If one wishes one's own rights to be honored then the rights of others must be respected in return. This is fair barter.
    What are your views?

• Cagefighter
    Cagefighter

People are greedy.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Start selling coffee..

Decent people don`t mind paying to help cover costs..

Leeches will suck you dry..

...................... ...OUTLAW

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon

Our rights are as Jefferson put it "secured" by the state. In return we give up time/money and even lives for the state to provide a framework in which we and our fellow citizens can prosper. A social contract. What that framework entails, as can be seen by numerous threads on this board, is subject to a lot of debate.

Edit: I just click on active topics, but I noticed this is in the child abuse section?

• tec
    tec

Give people something for free (a gift) for too long and it becomes a 'right to have' for most people. I can understand taking things for granted, by means of forgetting to appreciate them until they're gone. I don't understand this sense of entitlement that so many people have.

Tammy

• Gregor
    Gregor

People are greedy.... cagefighter

That's a pejorative way of putting it. Why not simply acknowledge that humans, like all the rest of natural life, are instinctive survivors. Rather than being surprised or dissapointed I think you should reflect on the lesson that Ayn Rand and many others have pointed out, that pursuit of self interest is the key to the success of the human race. It is a big subject, but your free coffee observation is a basic truth of nature.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW
    I don't understand this sense of entitlement that so many people have. .....Tec

It stems from Greed..It`s no longer a gift..

You owe them that coffee for them coming into your shop..

Thats why they get demanding about the coffee with Terry..

It`s a form of bullying..

Somebody needs to straighten them out..

...................... ...OUTLAW

• tec
    tec

that pursuit of self interest is the key to the success of the human race.

I am so glad that not everyone thinks this way.

Tammy

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

People get scrutinizingly cautious of being ripped off all the time, like " Oh they just posted the free

coffee sign just to pull in customers " its really just a BS lie.

People get their expectation foiled so many times when dealing with retail stores, they think

every store is pulling a fast one on to the customers.

Maybe Terry should put up a sign like " Free coffee when available " that way when people get turned down

by not getting any they wont think its just an arranged rip off.

I get Terry's point though people do think they are deserving of so much particularly in retail sales.

Possibly this is a result of the economic times we are going through, people sensitivities are little more heightened.

• Gregor
    Gregor

re my comment above about the basic human instinct to survive, Tammy said

"I am so glad that not everyone thinks this way. "

As I recall you recently posted something to the effect that you could not bring yourself to use lethal force to save your own life from a human predator. While this attitude may comfort you that you are morally superior to the great unwashed masses it also makes you fodder for those of low character who have come to desparation. "Weakness is a provocation".

There is a balance to the self preservation instinct that leads to a better quality of life for all, the young, old and feeble and for Tammy too.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit